New card, quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a new card, and I have a question, sorry if it's dumb, but I have to ask.

XFX PVT98GYDLU GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express

I am replacing my old broken card, and I need to know how do I replace it and uninstall my older drivers? Can I just run it and install new ones, or how do I correctly uninstall my old drivers.

Also everyone claims this runs hot, and my last 2 card have broken (probably due to heat), should I leave my side panel open while playing/using the computer or how would I make it so it would not overheat.

Also everyone claims this runs hot
? 9800gt is a nice, lite, and cool card, i've never heard of 9800gt's to run hot.
I am just curious, what is your power supply and what cards have you had previously? It is unusual to have more than one card fail.

how would I make it so it would not overheat.
There are great programs that let you monitor temperatures and adjust fans speeds, my personal favorite is EVGA precision (it works fine with other brands of cards too), I would recommend turning up your fan speed to keep your card under 70 degrees Celsius.

Honestly my old card... I am not 100% sure it was an NVIDIA Gforce 256 MB, that's all I really know. I bought it when it was expensive like 3 years ago, and now I realize how cheap cards are to upgrade. And where would I get the program to monitor my card fan speed? My power source... I am not sure, it's just one that came with the computer so I'm sure it's crap.

once you determine your old card, take a look at DriverSweeper as it cleans up driver stuff from Nvidia and other vendors as well (check your vendor is listed on the web page of its documentation)

Remove the drivers the standard way with the Add/Remove Programs window, and then run DS to purge any remaining files that are associated with the display driver software. Once this has been done, you should be able to install the new card and latest drivers, after a restart that is...

The XFX 9800GT does run a little warm, but it's nothing that the stock fan can't handle I'm sure. The 9800GTX is a different story, those have a really good stock cooling solution. If you find that the GT is getting too hot, you can always apply better thermal compound or buy a better cooler. You can also use RivaTuner to adjust the fan speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back