New comp up and running....software advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnK93

Hello,
With the help of this forum, I just built a new computer (specs below). After some very minor complications (I plugged the keyboard and mouse into the wrong ports...don't assume the purple plug goes into the purple jack!) I'm up and running. So far so good.

I've installed all the drivers that came with the motherboard and video card (evga CD didn't work, had to DL from web), but I'm wondering what else to install, and what I should avoid. I have a couple of firewalls running: one from windows XP and the other from the ASUS mobo disk. Should I keep one/both of these, or should I upgrade to another? What about the other software included with the ASUS mobo, such as the system monitoring tools, cool n' quite, etc? I have most of them installed now, but I'm really not sure what I need and what is just bells and whistles. Any advice? Besides programs/games, what other software is suggested to keep the system clean and running smoothe?

Thanks
John

AMD 3700+ San Diego
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
eVGA 7800GT
Antec Solution 3000 case (tight squeeze with video card!)
Antec TPII-550 PSU
WD SATA 80G HD
NEC floppy
Corsair XMS 2-512 memory
old 120G hard drive
old monitor, keyboard, CD drive,mouse

If you never connect to the Internet, you'll be fine.
Otherwise, get an Antivirus program (free from http://free.grisoft.com) and install Adaware and Spybot S&D.
The XP firewall is rubbish. Go get the free personal firewall from either www.kerio.com or www.agnitum.com. Then de-activate the XP-firewall and uninstall the Asus firewall.
To get even more safe, get yourself a router/switch with built-in hardware firewall and NAT.

As for Asus utilities: their Probe program comes in handy to monitor temperatures and PSU voltages. For cool'n'quiet, read up some on the internet (Google) if you want it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back