New computer did not come with OS cd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a new computer from Circuit City. Seems to be a decent machine:
Compaq 64bitAMD 2.4ghz, 512mb (including graphics card), 200gb hd.

It runs Windows XP Home. I assumed the purchase would include the OS installation CD, but was not in box. When I called to ask about it, they said they don't include that anymore. They can however make me a "backup" of my installation.

I've never had a machine without the OS installation CD. Is there a reason they are doing this?

This is the first time I have used XP (I install W2K on my machines). Will this "backup" be able to install windows components? I assume they would just copy the restore drive that XP maintains.

Hope someone can enlighten me a little.
Bill

most the major computer retailers have not been givng OS disks with their machines for quite some time now. the OS files are usually stored on a seperate partition on the hard drive which can be accesed during bootup to do a recovery in case of problem. the biggest problem with that is if the Hard drive goes bad then your just out of luck.

The recovery disc(s) are available upon request and a $10 fee the last I checked. From HP at least, so I'm sure Compaq is the same.

time to go buy the xp pro version
would not count on recovery fixing anything
and what if's can be the biggest headache
you are now at there mercy
xp pro reg ebay price 80-125

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back