New computer just wont turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordesf

Hey,

I have just bought my computer and i plugged everything in. I turned the coomputer on and it started up for 1 second and immediately went dead. Then i tried pressing the "on" button again but it doesnt respond. I checked the motherboard and saw there is a green light which should have power from the psu but it doesnt respond when i press the "on" button.

i also tried taking the battery thing out of the motherboard, waiting 30 mins and putting it bak on again but it still doesnt work.

can anyone help, thanks

my computer info are:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 3600+
MOther baord: ASUS m2v
graphic card: Geforce 7300gt
Ram: 512mb DDR2

Hi there, and welcome to techspot.

The green LED on your motherboard should be on, regardless of whether or not your computer is on. It indicates that the motherboard is getting power. If it is not on, then your motherboard is not getting power.

Could be a number of reasons as to why this is happening.

1. Your PSU is dead.
2. Your PSU connections to the motherboard came loose (there are two of them, a 24 pin connection plus the additional ATX12v connection).
3. The switch on the back of your computer is in the wrong position (should be 110v for the US)

Check your PSU connections first. Hopefully something is just loose. Did you build this yourself?

No i didnt build it myself, so im not too sure where everything is etc. But your thinking the PSU is dead and il need to buy a new one?

I added the 3rd point above late, did you see it?

Check that switch first. It is on the back of your case, and should be set to 110v (if you are in N. America).

im from Australia and my plug is 10A 250V (came with comp) but at the bak of my computer it has a sticker which reads 220VAC 4A/50hz

could this be the problem?

Also i have checked the connections wires and im pretty sure they are not loose

OK, so the switch sounds like it is in the right position for Australia. It shouldn't be in the 110v position.

Next, I'd check the psu connections to the motherboard. Do you feel comfortable opening up the case? Pretty easy to check. You want to make sure that two connections from the PSU are firmly connected to the motherboard.

Here is your motherboard manual:
ftp://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M2V/e2736_M2V.pdf

Have a look at page 2-27 and it shows you where these connector are. Take them out and re-seat them.

If this doesn't fix you up, take that system back and get them to have a look. Likely a dead power supply. Good luck!

yeh i have checked the connectors and it still seems not to work. Starting to think its the power supply. But do the power supply break if the voltage is different? eg 220V and i use 230-240V>?

Very suprisingly my other PC i am using went down, it suddenly went dead when i was reading the M2v manual. Very wierd because i couldnt turn the power on now ( Same problem as my new PC).

whats going on ?

you think? but i tested my comp on my other power surge and it doesnt turn on still? Could it be possible the Power supply is damaged?

It sounds like the problem may be either your surge protector if you are using one, or your house is having power surges (and taking out your computers). If you lost two today, then the problem is most likely caused by something OTHER than your computers.

My surge protector cost $1200... of course it's also a 1000 Watt battery backup. If you really lost two computer power supplies, in two different computers, I really doubt if a surge protector would be of much help. Have you noticed any other electrical problems in your house? Blown circuit breakers, clocks not working or TV's going out?

Safety switches are your insurance against electric shock. They are designed to prevent injury or death.

They monitor the flow of electricity through a circuit. They automatically shut off the electricity supply when current is detected leaking from faulty switches, wiring or electrical appliances. This stops the chance of current flowing to earth, through a person, electrocuting them.

Installing a safety switch is an inexpensive safety measure that protects everyone.

Yeh the saefty usually automatically switches off when it detects leaking or faulty switches, so which means all electricity in the switches go off until you put the saefty bak on again,.

i'm guessing what your all talking about is probably the same thing.. lemme describe.. its a switch (circuit breaker) you find in your "fuse box"/cabinate/whatnot that cuts off power when it overloads or something.. then you have to go outside (or wherever it is) and flip it back on..

If its doing it a lot i think its time to check what devices in your house is making it trip and/or call in an electrician..

Or a GFI (Ground Fault Interruptor)

So lordesf,
you said the "safety switch goes off". Could this mean that you have a problem with your house electricity? Could this problem contribute to your bad power supplies?

Sweet thanks everyone who helped me out, i went to the computer store and it was the PSU that was screwed, it took 30 mins for them to install a new one. Now my comps good :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back