New Computer or New Proccessor?

By cfitzarl
Jul 20, 2006
  1. Hi, I am trying to get a second opinion on one of my parents' computer. It is a Sony Vaio Desktop made in 2001. It's core is clocked at only 866mhz, has 384mb ram (sdram pc 133), and an ASUS motherboard CUSL-LV with 3 pci slots and one agp slot (speed unknown). Should I get a new pentium 4 chip for the computer or a new computer in general? Note that the computer is used for email and internet use only. I know the computer is old, but the case looks new, and the low speed is the only problem we're having problems with.
  2. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

Are you sure it can accept P4 chips?
    Is the CPU a Pentium III or a Celeron?
  3. IBN

IBN TS Maniac Posts: 487

New computer.
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

New computer. You can't upgrade that computer to anything more than P-III 1Ghz or so. Anything higher won't work or uses a different socket.
  5. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,975   +9

Ok, thanks. I found a nice Dell Dimension B110 that would fit them perfectly.
  6. IBN

Why dont you build your own computer. Its not that difficult. Your going to have problems upgrading in the future with a Dell computer.
  7. AMDIsTheBest010

AMDIsTheBest010 TS Rookie Posts: 398

yes build your own, its better quality than you'll get with a piece of s**t Dell.

HD: 80GB Seagate

RAM 512MB DDR corsair RAM

mobo: its depends on whether this is going to be an AMD or Intel rig

AMD- AMD Sempron64 2800+
    intel- Intel Celeron D 340 with EM64T

case: antec, basic case
    PSU: 300W antec

sound: integrated sound will work well.

extras: media card reader, floopy drive. firewire cards etc.

8. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,975   +9

I built my own computer, so I know that it's easy, but the computer intended for them doesn't need to be expandable. They use it to check email.
  9. IBN

Still. You'll save money. Building your own system doesnt mean you can t check your email on it. BTW Check email today tmr......

You know what I mean.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.