New Computer Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new computer Ive got everything hooked up except the front panel header with the power button and all that. I just cant seem to get it into the right order for the computer to start. It says that it should go as follows in the slots.

. . . .
. . . . .

+MSG- +PW-
+HD- -RES+ NC

The MSG takes up the 1-2 slots PW 3-4 HD 5-6 RES 7-8 and then one open connector. I have M61P-S3 motherboard and if anyone has had the same problems but figured it out to let me know please.

Well now I get the computer to turn on for a split second and then it just doesnt do anything and everything goes cold. The only thing it will do after that is making a humming noise from the power supply indicating that it is on and working.

So now it's the reverse - start removing things again

To start a computer you do not need:

Keyboard (although does help)
Mouse
Any external USB
Any plug in PCI devices
Video card (if you have onboard video too)
Case fan
Internal USB connectors
CD/DVD Drive (from M/b end)
Hard Drive (from M/b end)
Floppy
Extra Ram (just put the minimum required)

You can also:

reset the bios
Reseat the power plug(s)
Check case posts are aligned correctly (umm maybe M/b out here)
Bench test outside case
Replace power supply
And redo the CPU and heatsink

Reply back when that's done !

By the way, did the diagram I suplied help (you can reply straight away with that info)

The Diagram helped. The only problem is Ive done all of what you listed three times now and I still get the same result. I'm pretty sure I got a bad motherboard or something in there just isn't working right. Is there anyway of testing the motherboard to make sure that it isn't corrupted or anything like that.

If you have Bench test outside of the case, with everything out (I'm not saing it all again !)
Then it does sound like motherboard

Take it to a computer repair shop to get a second opinion.

Before you do anything drastic, have you tried booting the thing with all the front panel connections off? I have seen these symptoms from both a jammed reset button and the reset button connected to the power connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back