New computer set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilmog

I was wondering how well this computer set up would run the following games, and if anyone has any suggestons on what i should get if you dont like what i set up.
Games
Battle field 2
Doom 3
half life 2
Set up

AMD-compatible Motherboards
Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update CHAINTECH MBAV-MK8T890 Socket 754 VIA K8T890 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: MBAV-MK8T890
Remove Remove Move To Cart Move To Wish List
$66.00 $66.00
ATX Computer Cases

Update NZXT GUARDIAN GRN Green SGCC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400 WATT PS2 ATX 12V Power Supply - Retail
Model #: GUARDIAN GRN
$60.00 $60.00
CD/DVD ROM Drives

Update LITE-ON Beige IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model SOHD-16P9S - Retail
Model #: SOHD-16P9S
$20.00 $20.00
Keyboards

Update LITE-ON SK-2620 2-Tone PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard - Retail
Model #: SK-2620
$5.50 $5.50
Memory - System

Update Kingston ValueRAM 512MB (2 x 256MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model KVR400X64C3AK2/512 - Retail
Model #: KVR400X64C3AK2/512
$49.93 $49.93
Monitors - CRT

Update NEC Display Solutions AS750F-BK Black 17" CRT Monitor 15-pin mini D-SUB - Retail
Model #: AS750F-BK
**This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only. what's this?
$135.00 $135.00
Mouse

Update DCT Factory Lite Up O-028 Black 3 Buttons 1x Wheel PS/2 Optical Mouse - Retail
Model #: O-028
$5.49 $5.49
Processors

Update AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Newcastle Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 754 Processor Model ADA3400AXBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA3400AXBOX
**This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only. what's this?
$224.00 $224.00
Speakers

Update Logisys Computer SP6000-BK 32Watts 2.1 Speaker - Retail
Model #: SP6000-BK
$29.00 $29.00
Video Cards & Related Devices

Update Albatron PC6600Q Geforce 6600 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: PC6600Q
$117.99 $117.99

Go ahead and spend the extra $$$ to get a gig of RAM. Other than that, your video card looks good, but you may want to get a 3rd party audio card. Halflife 2, and Battlefield 2 will run very well with those specs, as my computer is similar.

i'll give you the straight-up breakdown:
CHAINTECH MBAV-MK8T890 Socket 754 VIA K8T890 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
this board has low quality and performance, not to mention the lack of overclockability. these days there is no reason to buy an a64 system based on the older socket 754 instead of the more recent socket 939. i strongly reccomend you get something from the msi k8n neo4 series, on acocunt of it's features, overclockability, and performance.
NZXT GUARDIAN GRN Green SGCC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400 WATT PS2 ATX 12V Power
i strongly advise you to get a better case from antec, thermaltake, or raidmax. the three companies have mor ethan enough options for you, and their products are of high quality. also, make sure you get a name brand power supply with a watt rating of AT LEAST 420watts, given said brands.
Kingston ValueRAM 512MB (2 x 256MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit
you're going to need a MINIMUM of 1gig to run bf2 alone well. get either: two 512mb sticks or two 1gb sticks. only fill two fo the ram slots on your motherboard, and do not add the max amount supported. as always, i reccomend name brand modules such as those available from kingston or corsair.
NEC Display Solutions AS750F-BK Black 17" CRT Monitor 15-pin mini D-SUB - Retail
make sure your display has a fast reaction time (<8ms) and has a native resolution that you plan on running in your games (for optimal performance, that is). and perhaps you would find a bigger model more to your liking.
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Newcastle
NO!!!!!! DO NOT GET THE NEWCASTLES!!!!!!!!!! get an a64 based on a 90nm process. you can just as easily get a winchester, venice, or san diego core.
Albatron PC6600Q Geforce 6600 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
this card isn't going to handle your games nearly as well as anyone would like. you need to get a 6600gt or higher card, preferably a 6800 or something. i reccomend any pci-e msi card, starting with thier nx6600gt card (www.msicomputer.com.

there are important things you left out:

harddrive - get a sata maxtor diamondmax10 of any size you want. maxtor makes high quality drives with great performance and they aren't too expensive. the new diamondmax10's have a feature new to ATA specs called native command queing (NCQ). the msi k8n neo4, as well as other nforce4 based motherboards, support NCQ, thus greatly increasing disc performance compared to non-ncq sata interfaces.

surge supression - your computer is an investment: protect it with a name brand surge supressor with ratings suitable for computers. you don't want to be spending lots of money and time on a computer and then risk losing it all to a stupid power surge.

i trust you've already taken care of the software nessesary (operating system, virus protection).

Nicely said all of what he said is true battlefield uses around 500mb or ram and you only have 512 you do the math.

I have a 9700pro and it dosnt do what i would like it to so definitly take a step up to a 6600gt PCI express.

Hope you have a new comp Soon :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back