New Computer Shuts Down Randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.
MY friend built a pc for me and when i started the computer its shut downs randomly...at first the pc shuts down right after it starts..then after few boots my friend was able to set the bios and all..when we tried to install the windows the system shuts down again..sometime mid way thru the installation and some time even before the installation starts..i tried leaving the computer on for a while without trying to install the windows and it remain on..i dunno wats happening here..
My Pc Spec:
3.4 G Pentium D
512mb Corsair memory card
380w ATX12v psu that comes with the casing-Raidmax
160gb Maxtor hard drive
i tried to install wind xp...
no video cards or sound cards..
im really lost n i hope u guys can help me out..thanks in advance..

Hello and welcome to Techspot!

First two guesses are either
a) you don't have the heatsink seated properly and your system is overheating. Try reseating the HSF with some new thermal paste.
b) Your power supply is dying. Raidmax are well known for producing low quality PSUs that die out early.

My friend also suspected the power supply...but the computer stays on if i dont try to install the windows...if i should get a new psu..which one would u suggest?can i get a decent one for around USD30?

The psu is 400w..will it be enough?..im planning to get a good video card soon..will it be enough to support video cards and also the pentium d proccesor?

I have a Pentium D 950 that did the same thing, turned out to be a dud. So I got another from Intel and it was fine. Anyway these processors do run incredably hot so it is crucial that the heatsink is seated perfectly and the standard Intel heatsink is easy to install incorrectly. I am confident this is all your problem is since the system is overheating and shutting down before you can really do anything.

Man Steve..how do i make sure that the heat sink is seated properly?
and how i would know wether my processor is bad?
i dont know much bout assembling a computer so ill be glad if u can help...

DON is more or less trying to give you an all around picture at whats going on. first look into the psu, btw did you check all your power connections to see if everything is seated first? you might want to check the 20+ 4 pin connections, 12V connection, and periferals (sp?). Do this before you start major hack work

Yo thanks you all..esp steve..i removed the heat sink and put it back(properly i guess) and it works..i have installed windows and my pc works like charm now..thanks again guys..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back