New computer that powered up at first, but will not power up now.

By Kiraeden
Jan 10, 2008
  1. Ok, I just built a new computer that I ran for about 2 hours give or take then it powered down completely during my OS installation. Now it won't even power up at all, I switch on the power supply and the green led on the motherboard lights up, pressing the power button however does nothing.
    My worst fear at the moment is that I have fried the CPU by applying too much thermal conducting past between it and the heat sink. (I didn't apply the thermal conduct myself, I had my room mate helping me, I wasn't aware of how much was supposed to be applied.)
    Now the question I have is, would that be the reason why nothing happens when I hit the power button even if the green light is on?
    Another thing to note is that the cpu heatsink fan I bought already had a small amount of Thermal paste on it which we failed to notice right off.

Computer specs:
    Asus M2R32-MVP Motherboard
    Asus EAH3850 ATI Radeon Graphics Card
    4 GB Kingston 667 Mhz RAM
    dual 80 GB Seagate SATA HDDs
    AMD Athalon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0 ghz Windsor Core
    430W power supply by Dynapower

Let me know if anyone needs to know anything else. Thanks.
  2. ShipMaster

ShipMaster TS Rookie Posts: 70

Dynapower is not a brand that I recognize, if it is a low quality PSU then that is probably the issue.
  3. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

4. ShipMaster

ShipMaster TS Rookie Posts: 70

Either way anymore info about the PSU?
  5. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Little to none (A very thin layer)

Also you did pull away the plastic cover first, on the new heatsink ?
  6. bknap

bknap TS Rookie

Try removing your Mobo from the case, place on a cardboard box. Connect power, video card, cpu fan, 1 stick of RAM and see if you get anywhere. If nothing try swapping your video card or test it in another system.

Good Luck.
  7. Kiraeden

Kiraeden TS Rookie Topic Starter

DYNAPOWER USA Titan-C2702.25.M158 Black SGCC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case PEAK: 430W Power Supply

That's the title of the case/PSU I bought, (wont let me post links yet)

another thing I found while researching was that the Graphics card I chose requires at least a 450W PSU, so I may have damaged my power supply instead.

And yes seeing as I spent $34 on the case and PSU I'd expect that it is a very junkie model.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.