New computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Build it yourself.

Here is my response from a similar thread a few days ago:
SNGX1275 said:
If you can't build it yourself you are really really limiting what you can get. I really suggest dropping that requirement and doing it yourself, it really is almost impossible to screw up, back in the old days it was slightly more complex, but really it has been pretty easy since I've been doing it, which was 8 years ago.

Here is a build I made a month ago for $314 before shipping. You can't game on it, but for $85 I bet we could find you a video card so you could game.

Western Digital Caviar WD800BB 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E4500 - Retail
MSI P4M900-X LGA 775 VIA P4M900 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
FSP Group ATX400-PA ATX12V 400W Power Supply - OEM
Sony NEC Optiarc 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model AD-7190A - OEM
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Desktop Memory - Retail
Rosewill R624-P BLK Black SGCC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Now, that isn't the nicest case, but when you are putting together something for as cheap as possible, the case is an easy place to cut costs.

I didn't bother to calculate the costs of all that currently, but in late November that came out to about $314. For $88 more (close to your $400 mark) you can get a XFX PVT73GUGF3 GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

So... there you go, hopefully you decide you can build it yourself, otherwise, you aren't going to get specs near that good for $400.

Although, having said that, that price doesn't include a KB, monitor, mouse, or operating system. So in that respect, you may be better off getting a lower spec'd machine from Dell or something, where you get everything included.

Edit: Actually, that motherboard won't let you add a PCIe graphics card. So you'll have to find a different motherboard, which will cost more, so you'll have to drop off your video card specs some.... At least what I have listed should give you some ideas though.

Edit2: Actually I found another cheap motherboard that will let you use a PCIe video card: Foxconn 945G7MC-KS2HV LGA 775 Intel 945G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail. Its probably a better board than that MSI anyway.
Now that is coming in quite a bit under what your budget is, so you could get a better PSU, a nicer case, and/or a better video card. You still don't have all that much money to work with, so you can't go too crazy, but this should give you some ideas to build off of.

would it be a good idea to buy a stock comp. for around 200 with a good processor, hard drive, memory

and just buy like a nvidia geforce 8600 for

Give Credit Where Credit Is Due.......

Rage_3K_Moiz just showed me this Mobo;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128079

It looks like a potent little sucker with onboard SATA RAID, Intel 3000 onboard graphics plus a PCIEx16 slot, and support for all current Intel processors.
It only has 2 memory slots but it supports 4GB. The 2GB DIMMs this would require might be almost affordable with current prices. Anyway you only need 2GBs to get off if you install XP.

Some people claim that the Intel 3000 GPU is actually capable of some gaming, but this is hearsay, not personal experience.

Ahem........

Did you want to spend $500.00 or $2000.00? I have certain moods where I'm willing to debate pro and con ad infinitum, jump through hoops as it were, regrettably I'm not in one at the moment.

$200.00 is not Happening.....Period....

Anything you buy for $200.00 to $300.00 in a pre-built machine is likely not upgradeable to where you might want to be 6 months from now. At least not if you're a gamer.

The board I showed you is a goody... here I'll Link it again.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128079

Go take a look at the specs, it's only $60.00 and it will take all the best new CPUs plus it's loaded with features. I may order 1 tomorrow, really. I have a new pentium dual core E2200 which is faster than the E4300 for only $100.00 and no mobo for it. Please note that I don't think speed is the only consideration, but Intel's CPUs just keep getting better and cheaper by the month!

SNGX1275 gave you a lot of good ideas for a reasonablly priced build. It's not going to be $200.00 by any means but it won't break the bank.

is the HP Pavilion a6200n Minitower a good comp. for gaminf if i put a XFX - NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT Graphics Card in.

Hmmmmm......

It's not that we're lazy,...,(well,maybe a little), but why don't you link the product page for us to peruse. (copy entire URL and paste it into your post). Make sure "automatically parse links in text" is checked. It's that-a-way..., -V- under "additional options.

before slapping a 8600 in it, make sure you have a pci-e slot, some motherboards on the low end still come with agp slots i think, just be carefull about that.

edit:

here are 2 barebones from tigerdirect.com, take one of these and beef it up some with your remaining cash.
each of these cost about $250, this leaves you with 250 to get your vid card, cpu fan, and what ever else you need.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3523726&CatId=31

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3401765&CatId=31

just dont expect to do any extreme gaming on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back