TechSpot

New & confused

By brittle
Oct 18, 2003
  1. Evening everyone ! Nice to "meet" you all ........I am Suzy, 46 and mom of 4 (mostly grown) who is an animal nut; computer addict, dedicated Christian and Bipolar :blush:
    Pretty much sums me up, huh? lol
    Not sure what to do ..... but I do have a question on a little problem with my OE6 that is drivng me bananas BIG time ! <G>So I guess I will wander around misplaced and confused (like usual) for awhile :)

In any case , It's a pleasure to be here and meet you.

In His Love, Suzy

2. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,343   +6

Welcome to TechSpot. If you'll post your problem, maybe someone can be of some help. Most people here will be more than happy to assist you.

Anyway, glad you are here, and it's a pleasure to meet you too.

3. brittle

brittle TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi & nice to meet you also.

My problem, though small - is quite irritating.

I use OE6 on a windows 98 se operating system. I have all of the updates and patches etc. from Microsoft.

Suddenly - some - not all - but some/alot of my email that are coming into my OE6 account , from my Yahoo groups etc.
    Have this irritating subject line put in them of :

***POSSIBLE SPAM*** and then the real subject.
    Not alot to get hysterical about - but really irritating to me :( There doesn't seem to be any 'rhyme or reason' to it either! Two emails could come thru at the same time - from the same person - and only one of them have the **SPAM** thingy.

I have checked, rechecked and done everything I can think of to get that message to go away - and no luck!

Any help would be greatly appreciated , Thanks.

In His Love, Suzy

4. olefarte

I'm not an expert on OE6, but since nobody else has replied to this, I'll give it a shot. Look at this link and see if it might help you any, it's the only thing I could find. If I understand it right, it will fllter out "Possible Spam", but it might filter some real e-mail also on occasion.

Again, let me stress, I'm not the expert on this, but I think it will do what you want. But, you may want to wait a while to see if anyone else has any ideas.

5. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,549

Welcome to techspot. What does 'Bipolar' mean? Is that the same as 'swings both ways' :D

6. olefarte

Nic, I think it's a medical condition.

7. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Welcome aboard Suzy. You say you are using yahoo for email, I know they have an automatic spam filterting thing that they use for junk mail and this might be causing this problem. I know I have mine turned off, but I'm not sure what would happen if I turned it on. See if you can't find any of those settings anywhere with yahoo and post back.

It is very nice to meet you once again Suzy, and I hope you enjoy your time spent on TechSpot. :)

8. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

Re: Re: New & confused

Get a hold of yourself.

Read this:

http://www.pendulum.org/

9. brittle

Thanks fellas for all of your help : )
    I trust we've pretty well covered what Bipolar is by now <g>
    Mental illness/depression with mood swings etc. - an illness just like having diabetes etc. Just another little 'piece' of me ;)

Now....I am using Outlook Express 6 ~ but do get email in from my Yahoo groups.

Here: I will give you a copy of the way a legitimate email will come into my OE6 :

***POSSIBLE SPAM*** [Always_In_His_Hands] Test

Now - ALL of the email I send from my OE6 - the copy comes back to me as that irritating ***POSSIBLE SPAM*** ! So that makes me think it HAS to be something in my settings. Although ... i have had other mail sent to me from folks that will have it one time - but not the next. So i know it's not JUST me --- but whatever the case may be ~ it's driving me batty(er) ;)

And again - I truly DO appreciate the help and hellos from each one of you :blush: ((hugs)) In His Love, Suzy

10. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

There are no settings or changes you can make to your computer to prevent this, as it is done remotely by your ISP's mailserver.

They add this to warn you of incoming SPAM. Then you may use your software (like outlook express) to delete mail including the words "***POSSIBLE SPAM***" of have it put into a different folder automatically etc...

Now, this sysetm is far from fool-proof, as it can often label legitimate email as SPAM. These "SPAM detectors" look for certain keywords, certain formats, hyperlinks and images and if the right combination is found - It thinks it is SPAM.

For example: If I type the word "sex" into the subject and send it back to myself, it comes back with SPAM written on it. This is because my ISP has setup their email software to label anything with sex in the subject as SPAM.

11. brittle

Wow ! Thank you Rick ~ i really appreciate your reply !
    Guess I can move onto new & better things to tweak and fiddle with now [lol]

I am just one of those 'perfectionist' type puter people and it was quite frankly driving me nuts! Although.......now that I think of it - Eohio was down for about 3 days trying to 'upgrade' (which always seems to go haywire) and it was after they were up and running again (and I had finished reinstalling my OS) that this cropped up.

So...ok ~ can't fix it - will simply have to deal with it I suppose ;)

Thanks ever so much for your help ! In His Love, Suzy
    :eek:

12. olefarte

Rick, I THINK the link I provided in my second post is what you are talking about. If she want's to do it, it provides detailed instuctions on how to do it, but as you said, it says it is not fool-proof.

13. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Oh yeah, that link explains how to handle mail with the SPAM tag on it. (like putting it in a seperate folder with Outlook)

But, I think brittle's problem is with ***SPAM appearing on NON-SPAM emails, which outlook has no control over.

I don't think any anti-SPAM measures will ever be 100% effective. :( And it seems the more "effective" they get, the more legitimate email they "catch".

14. Charles Hammond

Charles Hammond TS Rookie Posts: 59

I think Outlook Express uses some of the same core building blocks that Internet Explorer uses. The settings in IE may have an effect on the Outlook settings. This could have something to do with the firewall in XP also. Microsoft has a lot of this stuff integrated in DLL's that are used by multiple programs.

15. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,350

Bipolar is a "condition" that most people are effected by knowingly or unknowingly. I myself have been effected by it among other conditions like it. It's pretty normal.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.