New CPU and Mobo - What to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGEtheBEAST

Hello, I have just bought an AMD Quad Core 9750 and a new mobo (Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H Socket AM2+/ AMD 780G/ DDR2-1066/ A&V&GbE/ ATX Motherboard). I want to know if everything will go together seamlessly. Gigabyte said the mobo was compatible with the processor but do i need to know something else such as new BIOS or something? I am running windows Vista 32bit and have 3gb of ram. My psu is a Silencer 420watt *460 max*. Is there enough power since the cpu is 125 watts? Am I leaving a crucial bit of information out so you cannot answer my question? LOL I'm so anxious because my last cpu i bought didnt work i.e. no screen images. Thank you for your help.

vga? As in the output on my video card? It is a PCI x16 that the mobo specified that it had a slot for this. Is that what your talking about? Forgive my lack of knowledge of technical terms.

If gigabyte claims the cpu is compatible you should be fine. Depending on which video card you add to the system you're power supply might be a little underpowered.

i agree. ive built two computers. honestly, i would install xp or wait and get windows 7. vista is neat and all but has alot of faults. very heavy program as well.

TY for your responses. Aside from the evil Vista problem, will Windows in general recognize my version because I have heard that it is tied in with the mobo and, when changed, there can be errors...Is this true and, if so, what can I do?

Should be fine, I don't think the BIOS/mobo will make a difference at all... but I would recommend a fresh install of Vista if you upgrading from different hardware. It may still work without reinstalling, but it's always better to reformat and start from scratch, because of drivers and certain system files.

If i were to do a "fresh install" of Vista, would my harddrive be wiped of all its stuff as the disc warns? Is there any alternate way because i only have 40GB left on my 500GB extra drive and the one Vista is installed on is full with 230...It would appear i'm in a predicament. :(

If i were to do a "fresh install" of Vista, would my harddrive be wiped of all its stuff as the disc warns? Is there any alternate way because i only have 40GB left on my 500GB extra drive and the one Vista is installed on is full with 230...It would appear i'm in a predicament. :(

Yes it will be totally wiped clean if you do a fresh install.. you have a few options. you can backup all your files, then do a fresh intstall. or buy another hard drive. search the web for some backup file programs. you should have one anyway if you have that much space taken up, in case you dont, nero has a good product called Backitup

Should be fine, I don't think the BIOS/mobo will make a difference at all... but I would recommend a fresh install of Vista if you upgrading from different hardware. It may still work without reinstalling, but it's always better to reformat and start from scratch, because of drivers and certain system files.

i would agree. i did a "upgrade" to vista from xp. and i had problems. so i installed vista 64 as well for an "upgrade" still had strange problems from the start. after to bad experiences, i would listen to these guys and do a fresh install

Thanks for all the help, I got the new mobo and cpu to work with few hiccups. It seems slightly unstable though, due to a blue screen that pops up once in a while and says that windows was shut down to help prevent damage to the computer...Always a problem it seems like. Other than that, VERY fast.

Thanks for all the help, I got the new mobo and cpu to work with few hiccups. It seems slightly unstable though, due to a blue screen that pops up once in a while and says that windows was shut down to help prevent damage to the computer...Always a problem it seems like. Other than that, VERY fast.

i had that problem with vista. its something with the lcd screen and the card that vista just didnt like. i switched to xp and havent had that problem yet. wait till you try and install the frameworks 3.5 service pack!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back