New CPU - Confused ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnorth

Hi all, I need a little advice on a new cpu.

I have a AM2 mobo and am looking to drop a new cpu in it but i cant decided on which way to go, should i for a

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ (ish) Dual core or
AMD Athlon 64 X2 FX62 Dual core.

Friends have given different advice, "go for the 5200, its now worth spending the extra for the FX version" others have said its a no brainer get the FX.

It is going in a pure games machine and is joined with a Geforce 8800 GTX and 2gB ocz memory. As i dont really want to spend any more money for a good 12/18 months i need to chose a cpu that will run the new games.

Any pointers would be great,
Thanks again
Rag

The speed difference between these CPUs is virtually unnoticeable. Do you really want to pay extra for some 5% max inrease in performance?

The FX has a unlocked multiplier. That's nice if you want to overclock you wont be limited by the mobo or RAM. I don't think it's worth so much of a premium. I prefer low end chips. My 165 eats FX60s and spits them out.

The 6000+ is better, but again it's not worth the money.

Why get a FX, athlons cant overclock worth crap, even with the unlocked multi, its like hanging a chandelier in a haunted house :)

F1N3ST said:
Why get a FX, athlons cant overclock worth crap, even with the unlocked multi, its like hanging a chandelier in a haunted house :)
Lol, yea. The FX62 only goes from 2.8 to about 3.0-3.1 GHz... so you just wasted all that extra money just so you could OC another 300 MHz? Good job. That's what I'd say to someone who bought an FX62.

On the other hand, buying an FX CPU on socket 939 is a different matter entirely :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back