New Cpu Intel Or Amd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rab2140

Hi . apologies if there is already a post but i kinda need and fast answer i building a new pc and i have most of the things sorted my question is should i get and amd cpu or intel? I have heard intel have been coming on leaps and bounds and amd are some what fadding away. I currently have a dual core amd 64 X2 5000+ 2.6 and its great i can play all top games like crysis but i think its time to step into quad core baring in mind im looking for a cpu in 200 pound range . The new amd phenom looks good i was gonna get the 2.6 n over clock or should i go intel core extreme? please help it will be much apreciated

When it comes down to things like this, especially on a £200 budget for a quad core cpu, it depends on preference and what the prices of the products by each manufacturer are. If you like Intel, go with them, if you like AMD, go with them. I don't know what prices are like for quad core cpu's at the moment but if you can then it wouldn't hurt to wait until the January sales

The Core 2 Extreme range comes with higher multipliers and stock frequencies so you can OC them higher than the regular Core 2 Duos\Quads. IMO, get a Q6600 with the new G0 stepping and enjoy the benefits of a quad-core CPU. AMD's Phenom X4 loses out to Intel's quad-cores so it's not a wise choice to make.

thanks for the posts people i just bought the intel core 2 extreme x6800 for 200 pounds is that good or should i have went quad?

Um

Not defending AMD here, but for a few FPS less compaired to the Intel Quads he does not have to buy a new 80 pound motherboard as he would if he went with an intel. AMD Phenoms will work with his currant AM2 board.

According to your profile information your current board is a AM2 board. If you bought an Intel CPU, you will need an new motherboard. Maybe you knew this already but you didn't say.

To Specify

kirock said:
Maybe his current board is 939 though, he didn't exactly specify AM2.

AMD 939 platforms only went up to a X2 4800+ or FX-60. Otherwise I would have made him specify his platform.

Also, maybe wait on that striker extreme. With Nvidia releasing its 780i chipset its only a matter of probably a month before Asus releases somthing better than the Striker.

Frankly, I'm a bit puzzled here.....

Rab2140 said:
thanks for the posts people i just bought the intel core 2 extreme x6800 for 200 pounds is that good or should i have went quad?

Our member said he purchased his CPU. So, that leaves the obvious question, why are posts still being made to suggest which CPU to buy? Oh and Rab, allow yourself closure on the deal. "Buyers Remorse" is debilitating.

choose Intel cauz its more reliable and stable.
but if if you care about the life of your computer and rather prefer a fast one, go for AMD.

Please at least argument your posts as Intel & AMD are both reliable & have been so for quite a while.

The difference will lie only in the performance area in which Intel is pretty much untouchable right now. If you spend lost of time simply surfing & doing other light tasks you can get an AMD which is capable of downclocking much more than Intel parts resulting in a smaller power consumption (during idle periods only).

But anyways it seems you've made your choice so this is more of a message to people that keep bringing back 10 to 15 year old clichés.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back