New Dvd Burners Not Always Recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just installed 2 DVD burners. On MY COMPUTER, they show as a cd-rw and a dvd-rw. When I try to save a powerpoint document it says I do not have access to the drive. I tried to shrink a disc, and it said no disc, in both drives. Am I supposed to make some type of special setting when I have 2 burners??

What are the makes/models of the drives? I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, but are you running IDE133 drivers on IDE100 channels? My guess would be that could cause a few problems.

Did you set the jumper on each optical drive correctly? That is, one to master and one to slave?

You can't just save to the drive from within a program without having some packet writing software installed such as Nero InCD.

I don't understand the "packet writing" thing. I have Nero. I thought I could do the drag and drop thing to write to a CD. Can you walk me thru how to save documents using nero, or give me a website? Do you know what my problem might be as far as dvd shrink not recognizing that there is a cd in the burner?? THANKS...

If you want to drag and drop, don't you have to format the disc first?

How do I tell if I am running them on 133 or 100 drivers? Computer is rather old. Got the blue screen today when I uninstalled and then restarted computer.

Packet Writing allows for drag and drop. I'm not familar with InCD but Roxio's version there is no formatting of the disk that has to be done manually, you drag and drop and it does its thing.

As far as DVDShrink not seeing the disk in the drive, well I don't know, but that shouldn't have anything to do with packet writing.

By DVDShrink not seeing a disk in the drive do you mean not seeing the retail DVD when its inserted? If that is the case does it show up in Windows? Try exiting DVDShrink, then putting in the disk and waiting for Windows to see it, then re-open DVDShrink, I've had that happen to me before.

For simple burning maybe you should just drag and drop from within Windows without Nero, and then click in the left column of the window on Write these Files to CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back