New DVD Drive install gets Blue Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an IBM Netvista where I am attempting to switch out one of my old DVD drives and replace it with a new DVD drive, this one with DL writing ability but when I do, I get the dreaded blue screen which stops windows 2000pro from loading.

All drivers are current, norton disabled and no apparent device conflicts.

I know the new drive is fine because if I install it separately it loads and works fine. But everytime I put it on the dual IDE ribbon along with the 1st drive, I get the blue screen and the error IRQ not less or equal.

Any ideas?

Try loading under Administrator safe mode and see if that works? If it does, then you have a conflict going on under the username profile you're using...

I think Tipstir's idea is sure to work with this problem... Depending on when you get the blue screen, Are you get it when the computer is 1st launching or after it loads up through all the stuff?

Well, I get the blue screen right before I get the option of logging in. I'm always the administrator at log in. When I first boot up, all is fine, goes through the PC's operating system fine and initiates windows startup. As it starts up, it appears to load nearly completely but the next screen is the Blue error screen IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL.

I attempted to load under safe mode but then I get the other dreaded screen:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)winnt\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)winnt\system32\hal.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)winnt\system32\BOOTVID.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)winnt\system32\config\system

. . . etc., etc., etc. So, I shut down and remove either drive, doesn't appear to matter, as long as there is only one drive on the ribbon . . . it will boot up just fine. Just not both, even thoughh I had two on this ribbon before.

BIOS couldn't be assigning an invalid IRQ address could it? I mean, I have dual drives on this prior to this attempt to switch out to the new DVD drive and all is well. What's strange is that the old DVD drive and the new DVD drive are almost identical, same manufacturer, both called "multi-burner" but the new one is called "multi-burner plus."

?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back