New DX10 and Vid card info

Status
Not open for further replies.

THERAP1ST

Ok I e-mailed BFG yesterday with this question
" have a quick question about the GeForce 7950 GX2, when you say built for windows vista does that mean that its 3D API will be directX 10, in essence will it be a DX10 card?"
and I got this for answer
"nVidia designed the 7950 series to meet the DX10 specifications made available
by Microsoft. As long as they don't radically change it before launch, the 7950 will run DX 10 apps just fine."

THERAP1ST said:
As long as they don't radically change it before launch, the 7950 will run DX 10 apps just fine."

Like they said, MS likes to change things a lot!

That's what I though as well, and I'm wondering if he means "just fine" with the software that is said to have to run between a DX9 card and a DX10 game.

Maybe the DX10 support for the 7950 will be done via software. Better get a 7600GT or GS and wait until real, DX10 cards with hardware support arrive to the market.

Cheers!

Plus it will take time for the prices to come down and for cards to come out that are worth upgrading to. Rubbish cards that say "DX-10 ready" just wouldn't cut it. Sure they may be faster in Vista but maybe they might not work as well in XP(not everyone will want to upgrade to Vista. I know people who still use Windows 98 coz XP's requirements are too high. Sounds hard to believe but it's true). Still DX10 may have its perks and hopefully we'll see something good from Microsoft in Vista and DX10.

Got another reply from BFG this time from the marketing department.

"Windows Vista will launch using DirectX 9 and will require a Shader Model 2.0 (SM2.0) or 3.0 (SM3.0) capable graphics card to run Vista Aero. Given this, the 7950 GX2 was “built” for Windows Vista and will support it. DirectX 10 however will require SM4.0 and will be released well after the Vista launch. No card on the market today has SM4.0 support needed for DX10.

Best Regards,
Marketing Team
BFG Technologies, Inc."

I'm glad BFG finally replied with something more truthful.

In no way is the 7950 designed or built to have anything to do with DX10.

There is a pretty good article that can be found at the following link that also includes a table of DX10 featureset vs DX9.0. As can be clearly seen, the 7950 in absolutely now way is "built for dx10" lol.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1982132,00.asp

Uhh...

No, you aren't.
Just check out the profile on Vista in PC-World or any of the other millions of mags that show Vista.

Uhh... please don't make up people's minds about what they like. That's rude and he has a right to his opinion. Also, this is an old thread. Why ressurect it just so you can be rude to someone?

Kt3mplar said:
No, you aren't.
Just check out the profile on Vista in PC-World or any of the other millions of mags that show Vista.

I don't like Vista (yet) for several reasons:
1- Will consume a lot a valuable RAM
2- Won't be compatible with older software (that means no Internet access for me until my ISP does something about it)
3- It's gonna cost a LOT of money

And I have a Vista-like desktop, so I don't need it to get those Aero effects :)

Obviously, someday I WILL have to get Vista, but not right now. I'm good with XP for many many months.

I hate to disagree with Therap1st about no card on the market today has Shader Model 4.0 support.
Look here:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2717549&Sku=P450-8004
I recently upgraded and purchased this card and the box and instructions specifically state Shader Model 4.0. I upgraded to an AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (AM2) chip, XFX Geforce GTX 8800, 2 gigs of Kingston DDR 5400 (667 mhz) RAM, a 250 gig Seagate Barracuda SATA 300g hd, 700 watt Ultra X-Connect SLI ready component psu and an EVGA nforce 4 SLI 590 board, and have to admit, the graphics of all the games I've tested since I put it together on Thursday have left me in awe. I wasn't planning on upgrading to Vista for at least 6 months, but if this is just a taste of what graphics intensive gaming looks like with this card, I may jump as soon as released.
I was planning on overclocking since the software that came with the board (NVIDIA profile monitor and performance) allows all the tweaks to be done in the software (cpu, RAM, vid card, etc, along with safeguard software so as to not overclock to the point of destroying any hardware), but this thing runs like a hot knife through butter.
Granted, the price of the only true DX10 cards out right now (GFX and GTS 8800's) is steep, but ATI hasn't released their cards yet. As with all new technology (especially pc's) you pay for the prestige of being the first to own them.

Keep in mind that when THERAP1ST posted back in JULY, 2006, the Geforce 8800GTX wasn't out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back