New error message

Hello,

I am new new so please forgive me if this is not the place for this post. I was told this forum has the best of the best people.

I am running Windows XP Pro and the other day, just out of nowhere, I get an error message that is unidentifiable by Google or other resources I have been checking.

The message is only when I turn on my computer. It says:

Error loading c:\windows\crmap32.dll

I Googled it as I said and nothing comes up for that path. Google is asking me if it could be crmabp32, but it is not. I checked the spelling several times. I have run malwarebytes, spybot, my companies Symantic AV, and AdAware. My system is clean as they came up with nothing relating or otherwise. Anything that did come up was either quarantined or deleted.

Any help in recognizing this error would be appreciated.

Morriah

I could find no reference to that file either. I would therefore be suspicious.

Anything that did come up was either quarantined or deleted.

If you are saying here that the scans did find some malware then a visit to the Virus and Malware forum would be advised.

So is there a file crmap32.dll in c:\windows ? or anywere ? If you know what you are doing, you could find where in the registry that reference is called. It will probably be in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Run (or RunOnce)

It might also have to do with an Internet Explorer startup link.

You can look at the path pointed to in that reference, and often get an immediate idea what installed it, and can make a judgement to either delete it, reinstall it so it works properly, or reinstall it and uninstall again so it is uninstalled properly, or whatever.

i think you are saying something did come up on an anti-virus scan and 'it was quarantined or deleted'. Not so. Much well-written malware has an unfortunate ability to rise from the dead after being deleted. Take my word for it, really getting rid can be a very difficult task. You should take expert advice from our malware forum.

Try this

Download Autoruns. Click autoruns.exe to run it
> Wait till status in lower left corner says Ready
> Click File->Save, save as a text (.txt) file and attach back here

/* EDIT */
Also, could you clarify
> Does the message occur after every bootup? Or does it occur at some random time after you start? And is that "random" time tend to be short (like within first 15 minutes of startup) does can it happen many hours after you startup?

Back