New EX38-DQ6 machine beeps when run hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just built a new machine and it worked fine for several days on my little monitor while I was installing software.

Tonight I brought it upstairs and hooked up one of my big displays which runs 1600x1200. Now, when there is a lot of white on the screen or I get a lot of load on the CPU it starts to beep (actually, it is a continuous tone) until either the cpu unloads or the screen does (I haven't for sure concluded which).

Ok, the configuration:
Gigabyte GA-EX38-DQ6 mobo
CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-8500C5D 4g of memory (1066)
Intel Q6700 quad cpu (which the motherboard utilities only show running at 2.1g?
EVGA 8800GTS (512) - new model GPU
3 Raptor 10,000rpm 150gb disks
CD/DVD
Zalman 750w power supply
Vista Ultimate

So, I was thinking that either the cpu isn't being cooled enough? I have the Intel cooler on it - I bought a nice copper one but it interfered with the heat sinks on the chipset. Or, isn't the power supply doing the job?

Also, I can't figure out how to see things like the temps and volts and stuff while windows is up.

Any ideas?

p.s. Yes, I have the 6 pin power cables plugged in to both the mobo and the video card.

Edit: added detail on the configuration

Everest Home Edition is a good software tool to monitor Temps and also find what voltage your CPU is using.
You could get more detail about how your CPU is running by downloading Speedfan which will test your CPU and tell you if anything is not normal for that CPU.

I loaded up Speedfan. Nice little app.

I was able to see that when the cores got up to about 45C the beep started. I checked the bios settings and the cpu temp warning was not enabled so I don't know what is doing the beeping. I turned off speed control on the cpu fan which caused it to go somewhat faster and is now keeping the cpus a few degrees cooler.

Tomorrow I am (hopefully) installing a Zalman cpu cooler in place of the Intel one. Right now the four cores are at about 37C.

What are good temps to keep it below? Or, conversly, what temps should cause me worry?

Thanks

Tedster, thanks for the pointer.

As I suspected it would seem to be a cpu heating issue but a couple of things puzzle me.
1) I had the bios setting for cpu overtemp warning disabled
2) I was only seeing peaks of 48c with Speedfan before I disabled smartfan in the bios. Afterward it was only getting to 44c.

I have a 120mm fan drawing air into the case past the disks and a 120mm fan on the rear of the case. The video card exausts out the rear and the PS does too.

Well, an update... I ran memtest (getting it going is another story) and so far after 15 passes I see no errors though I got a few beeps after 14 passes.

I am really puzzled about the bios (by the way, I have been building my own PCs for 10 years so am not a novice).
I have NO hard drives selected as a boot device but it still boots to Windows if it doesn't find a bootable CD.
I have RAID on the ICH9R enabled and my system disk is a stipe set. Even if I set the CDROM as the boot device, it will not boot from it.
If I plug in a USB CDROM drive and set it as first boot device, that doesn't boot either.
If I set the CDROM as 1st boot device and USB CDROM as 2nd boot device, then the USB CDROM will boot.
I am not sure I like this Award Bios.
Perhaps I should flash the BIOS as I have F1 (Feb 5) and there is an F2 (Feb 27) available?
Anyway, I am very frustrated (oh, and the Zallman wouldn't fit - memory and PS interference).

Oh, and another thing... I see in SpeedFan (nice tool!) that Core 3 (the 4th) is always several degrees cooler than the other cores. Would that imply that the thermal bond from the cpu cooler isn't very good?
just a thought...

It is still running though beeping under load.
I updated the bios today.
I ordered a copper cpu cooler that should fit today.

Can you adjust the theshold of that beep error for High CPU temp in CMOS?

But please do reply back when the new HeatSink is fitted, to let us know the difference in temp (idle and load)
I might even get one!

Well - reporting back
Since installing the new heatsink with arctic silver 5 I get less beeping by quite a bit though the cpu core temps still get up there under load though I was able to get 3 cores pretty busy and up to 50c and not get beeps.

I ended up using the Nexus PHT-7750 Copper Socket 775 Quiet CPU Fan.
The think I like about it is that it fits in place of the stock cooler and doesn't requre mobo removal to put it on

I haven't tried to play with the bios settings for the alarms (since I have it set to be off :) ) but I may as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back