New Galaxy Note 8 leaks show off features new to Samsung phones

midian182

Staff member

While the Galaxy S8/S8+ are still wowing people with their high-end features and beautiful designs, attention is now turning to Samsung’s next offering: the Galaxy Note 8. Earlier reports say the device will come with elements new to the Korean company’s handsets, and the latest leak lends credence to those rumors.

Consistent leaker Poyoco Tech has posted a series of renders showing the Note 8 looking similar to the S8 – slim bezels, infinity display – but with a few important differences. Specifically, the back of the phone has a vertical dual camera setup and lacks a fingerprint sensor.

The design matches the 3D-printed Note 8 unit that YouTube channel Concept Creator made last month. Rumors that the sequel to the explosive Note 7 will be the first Samsung handset to feature a dual camera module have been around for a while, and it now looks increasingly likely.

Samsung fans will no doubt cheer at the repositioning of the fingerprint sensor - its location is one of the few complaints people have about the S8. With no physical button on the front, it appears the reader will be integrated into the Note 8’s display. This had been the plan for the S8, but a last-minute problem prevented its implementation.

In November last year, Samsung spent $8 billion acquiring electronics giant Harman. It appears that deal could result in some impressive acoustics for the Note 8. The logo of AKG, which is owned by Harman, appears on the back of the phone, suggesting its speakers will be tuned by the audio firm.

Another Note 8 leak has shown up on Twitter, this time from “Ice universe.” It shows a more subtle improvement over the S8, but one that users will no doubt appreciate. The Infinity Display in this image comes with a smaller corner radius, meaning even more pixels could be squeezed onto the screen.

The Note 8 is expected to be unveiled sometime in late August/September, possibly at Berlin’s IFA event.

Permalink to story.

OK, OK, OK, OK ...... somebody has to ask this question, no matter how redundant. Is a "non-exploding" battery considered a new feature? And how long does it have to meet that criteria and still be considered a new feature? NO, NO, NO, NO .... I simply refuse to ask about spin cycles or other device characteristics and don't even get me started on that 30 clause in their contracts!

Sure, Edge phones look great, but it's merely a design novelty that wore off in about two days for me.

What's left after that is a shell of a phone that exudes frailty. One implacable encounter with the densely packed atoms in an asphalt patch and boom goes your top dollar.

Not to mention that I've spent mid range phone money finding a passable screen protector / back cover combo that wouldn't make it look like the tablet of Moses.

Last edited:
Sure, Edge phones look great, but it's merely a design novelty that wore off in about two days for me.

What's left after that is a shell of a phone that exudes frailty. One implacable encounter with the densely packed atoms in an asphalt patch and boom goes your top dollar.

Not to mention that I've spent mid range phone money finding a passable screen protector / back cover combo that wouldn't make it look like the tablet of Moses.

That's why a case is necessary which inherently kills off the thinness and sleek factors leaving you questioning why people want such features in the first place.

I wish a manufacturer would make a thicker, more robust phone with larger battery. They'd sell a lot and I'm sure others would follow suit.

That's why a case is necessary which inherently kills off the thinness and sleek factors leaving you questioning why people want such features in the first place.

I wish a manufacturer would make a thicker, more robust phone with larger battery. They'd sell a lot and I'm sure others would follow suit.

Wishful thinking, bro. Global hitech companies like Samsung seldom ask themself such questions. It's the "dazzling gizmo and nowelty gadget" syndroms that is their primary driving force, not the user-friendliness and the practicality (read longevity) of the devices they churn out every 6 months.

Wishful thinking, bro. Global hitech companies like Samsung seldom ask themself such questions. It's the "dazzling gizmo and nowelty gadget" syndroms that is their primary driving force, not the user-friendliness and the practicality (read longevity) of the devices they churn out every 6 months.

They want you to feel like your phoneo is old and out of date in 8 months so you go buy the next one.

Is that not what the "Active" versions are supposed to be? They seem to be niche models that come along a few months after the initial Samsung Galaxy new models are released (and true of Moto and LG ?), and I have not seen much "excitement" about them - I.e. not a lot of the demand you seem to posit.

FWIW, I would be interested, IF I were extravagant enough to spend more than $200 on a new phone - eBay is my primary supplier ;-}

Back