New game wont play!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!! wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction! just purchased MOHPA from PCworld, Installs no probs, but when I try to play it flashes up a message saying my video card doesnt support directx 8.1.

Well, the computer is a year old Dell dimension 3000...have run a dxdiag which tells me that i have directx 9.0c installed. and have an intel 82865g graphics controller and chip type using an ialmnt5.dll driver!! all this means absolutely nothing to me!!

I'm a complete novice and just thought that you go in the shop, buy the game, and play it!!

If anyone can tell me what i need to do to get the game to play, I will be hugely thankful !

Cheers!

To play MOHPA you need a minimum 64MB 3D video card and 128MB card is recommended. If the intel graphics controller is onboard you will not have enough graphics power to play the game.

And that's the truth... Well, mostly.

The 82865g is certainly able to have 64MB of memory... possibly even 128MB.. But it is shared with your system memory. Because of this, it will be slow if it works at all.

You'll most likely have to buy a graphics card to play the game (well)... But if you insist on making it work, then you may be able to upgrade your graphics driver here http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=1044

The Intel extreme graphics card gives pretty low performance, but as far as integrated solutions go... You could do a lot worse. =P

thanks everyone

thanks everyone....will try your advice and let you know what happens, but thanks for the advice.......much appreciated!!!

hi rick

hi rick, tried that link, and i can d/l the new driver accelerator, but it wont run the update, saying that i need to contact the manufacturer (Dell).

I know that its proabably my own fault (or ignorance) but I'm a little annoyed that I bought this computer expecting it to do pretty much all I would want from a "home computer", only to find that it wont even play what is meant to be a PC game!!! :rolleyes:

frags said:
hi rick, tried that link, and i can d/l the new driver accelerator, but it wont run the update, saying that i need to contact the manufacturer (Dell).

I know that its proabably my own fault (or ignorance) but I'm a little annoyed that I bought this computer expecting it to do pretty much all I would want from a "home computer", only to find that it wont even play what is meant to be a PC game!!! :rolleyes:

No, it's not your fault. "saying that i need to contact the manufacturer " probably means the Extreme drivers (Generic) from Intel may not work for Dell by design. I may have also linked the wrong driver, so check the Intel site again and see if you can find the right driver.

If all else fails, try to get the latest driver from Dell, which typically isn't very recent, but perhaps new enough to get you started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back