New Gaming PC (is this overkill)

HiDDeNMisT

Motherboard: Asrock Fatal1ty X99 Professional
CPU: Intel Core i7-5960x
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX Extreme
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 16GB DDR4-2666
GFX: Gigabyte GTX 980 Gaming G1 x2 (SLI)
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB
HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black
PSU: Corsair AX1500i Digital
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 900D or HAF 932 Full Tower (Don't know which one yet)

This is the 3rd computer that I am building. I kind of want to future proof it but I don't know if this is overkill or not.

It's a great looking build - overkill will depend on what you plan to play and at what settings/resolution. This is such an open ended question that it can't really be answered well. If you're playing solitaire I would say yes... at any resolution this machine will be overkill.

Well I am trying to play games at there max res in ultra or very high quality. Games for example like, Dragonage Inquesition and the Witcher 3, also all of the obvious ones like WoW, Starcraft, BF4, Skyrim.

Again - still missing a vital bit of information (monitor/resolution) but since you threw in Wither 3 and BF4 I will assume you're talking modern games both now and into the near future. Another really important think to consider is not everyone has the same expectations of the phrase "running well." Running well to some people is anything over 30 fps, while others say it cannot have any drops below 60 fps and then there are even those on high refresh rate displays who demand 100+ fps. Games like W3 are some of the hardest to get to run well. Many people have lowered their expectations (myself included - I'm happy with 60 fps on this game @ 2560x1440) which I get with my rig - but yes, I wish I could get even more performance from it. In the end I will say that you're assembling one of the fastest consumer machines money can buy so it's as future proof as you're going to get for now but it's really up to you to decide if it's fast enough. For many years my definition of fast enough was "faster than all of my real life friends' computers" but over the years that definition has become more and more centered on myself and what is pleasing to me.

Thanks for the help. But yes to put it in tech terms 60+ FPS is what I am aiming for. As well as the same res that you are getting maybe better if I can get it.

Thanks,

Might be cutting it pretty close running a 5960x and a pair of 980 on a 750w PSU... too close for my comfort anyway.

Might be cutting it pretty close running a 5960x and a pair of 980 on a 750w PSU... too close for my comfort anyway.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Thats why I went with the Corsair AX1500i Digital. I know 1500 is overkill but the PSU looks so sexy lol and the specs are nothing to laugh at either.

I don't think it's overkill, if you got the money why not. I personally prefer ASUS ROG boards and GPU but if I was going to change my 2x ASUS 7970's and I had the money I'd definitely get the 980ti G1 gaming, Id also consider getting the Corsair AIR 540 case it's the best I've had but you must buy DEMCflex dust filters

Attachments

• IMG_2270.JPG
    IMG_2270.JPG
    968.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2318 (2).JPG
    IMG_2318 (2).JPG
    880.3 KB · Views: 4
I don't think it's overkill, if you got the money why not. I personally prefer ASUS ROG boards and GPU but if I was going to change my 2x ASUS 7970's and I had the money I'd definitely get the 980ti G1 gaming, Id also consider getting the Corsair AIR 540 case it's the best I've had but you must buy DEMCflex dust filters

Your RIF looks pretty sweet man. I really like the case. I might switch it out. Looks tiny tho.

Back