New gaming pc specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunger_force

In was wondering if you guys could take a look at the system im about to put together. Any advice would be great :).

HITACHI Deskstar T7K250 0A31636 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - OEM

RAIDMAX RX-450KW ATX12V 450W Power Supply 100 - 120/200 - 240Vac TUV, UL, CSA, CE, FCC, CB - Retail

SAPPHIRE 100107L-BL Radeon X800 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

LITE-ON Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 4X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner - Retail

Thermaltake VENUS 12 80mm Ball Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail

COOLER MASTER CAV-T01-WWC Silver/Blue ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply - Retail

Looks like a nice system! Two things came to mind as I had a once over.

1. I'd do some research on that PSU. I haven't heard of that maker (which doesn't say much, there are a LOT of makers I have never heard of). No-name PSUs are a headache. See what some others say about it. It is possible that the one you have chosen is a big name maker, I honestly don't know.

2. Why get a ATI video card? I actually prefer ATI over Geforce myself (the Canadian in me), but if you are going to get an SLI motherboard, you may as well keep your future upgrade options open. Recommend getting a Geforce, so that down the road if you want to stick another in there you can link them up. Why tie your own hands?

Also, another thought... I know I said I only had 2 thoughts but.....

That Venus12, how loud is it? My last computer had a volcanoe heatsink/fan and it was like a jet engine in my living room. Drove me INSANE. :knock:

hey

Yea I agree with DONNAGUAL...why are you using an Ati if you have an SLI motherboard..i'd recommand you get a Geforce 6800 GT instead ... you can put another one in the near future if you want to

Ive never bought an nvidia before but you guys are right about sli. Which video card would you recommend. I have about $250 to spend on that part of my pc.

For $250 bucks? Pfffft! :bounce:

You're looking at the 6600GT or 6800 for that price range. If you can squeeze just a little more out of the pot you can go for a 6800GT :approve:

Hard to say. Used is always a gamble, as unless you know what to look for, it is hard to tell if it has been OCd or modded in anyway.

I tend to stay away from used CPUs, video cards, PSUs especially.

Also keep in mind warranties. If you are going to buy used, find out about the warranty (if any) before hand.

Regardless, if there is a used 7800 card for sale at $250 bucks, I'd be wondering what's the deal. If it seems to good to be true, it usually is.

i can say that raidmax sells alot of supplies in the US and they make a solid product. and i agree with DonNagual about that 7800.

the only other thing is that hitatchi deskstar. i remember the fiasco that earned said drive the name 'deathstar'. but then again i haven't worked with any hitatchi drive in the past 2~3 years, they may have turned things around on the reliability front. my first pick would have been a maxtor diamondmax10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back