New GFX card choice

andy06shake

Ok im looking to upgrade from my GTX 570 Superclocked to a new GTX 770 can any one suggest a good version with a decent aftercooler already mounted?

Im looking to spend around £250-£300. Also does anyone know if I will require a new PSU, currently I have a Corsair TX 650W model with 6pin power connectors, however I think the new Nvidia 770s use an 8pin configuration will this be an issue or can I use an adapter?

Last question will a new GTX770 fit inside my Antec 900 case?

Let me go in order:

Ok for a good version of the card, depends if you want to overclock, but overall this would be my choice at your budget.

Palit Getstream GTX 770 2gb (Theres a 4gb version if you think your going with higher than 1080p resolution)

You should not need more than a 650watt PSU, your just fine.

You do need one 8 pin, if you dont have one on your PSU, just use the adapters that come in the box.

As for the case, if a GTX 570 fit, you should not have any problems with this fitting inside. Thats a pretty big case so dont worry.

If you are going to buy the GPU on Cyber Monday, then I recommend getting GTX 770 4GB. The price will drop from what it is listed today about 20-50%. Your power supply will be able to handle it although if you add one (or upgrade) in the future you will find yourself in need of more power.

You can stick with Gigabyte but get one with the WindForce 3 cooler, they are excellent but be sure to yank the cooler off, replace the TIM with some good quality stuff then refit it. I have an overclocked GTX 770 with this cooler and the temps never go beyond 63 deg under gaming conditions even though it's summer here and my room is usually at about 27 deg.
I use a really high quality 650W PSU (you can see my specs in my profile) and it's more than sufficient so you should be fine there.
Yes you can use an adapter.

Good luck & happy gaming.

From reviews, and what ive heard, I would stick with the palit, that cooler is just supposed to be one of the top air coolers out there. Unless your doing higher than 1080p, you might be satisfied with a 2gb version, but BF4 has been known even at 1080p to hit right around 2gb, so maybe the 4gb is not a bad choice, its up to you if you want to spend the extra on it.

GhostRyder im thinking on going for the 4Gb version to add some future proofing. The cooler on the 770 I selected looks like a beast, im just hoping it will all fit inside my Antec 900, I have a 570 with extensive aftercooling right now and that only just fits with around 5mm so spare so I really hope I will be ok space wise, any thoughts?

Back