New Google Glass models ship with twice as much RAM, larger battery

Shawn Knight

Staff member

google glass hardware google glass

Google has updated its Glass hardware just ahead of this year’s I/O conference in San Francisco. The revised eyewear now includes twice as much RAM at 2GB as well as a larger battery and improved firmware that combine to keep the wearable running 15 percent longer.

Glass product manager Steve Lee said the extra memory will allow for more Glassware apps to run in parallel and that each app will load faster. Overall, the entire experience will generally feel a bit faster and more reliable.

Truth be told, the larger battery started shipping with new units back in March but it didn’t offer any improvement without the software update.

google glass hardware google glass

Elsewhere, Google has also added a viewfinder to make framing photos easier. The software update additionally includes two new Google Now cards: one to remind you where you parked your car and another to let you know when packages are headed your way.

All of these changes, Google said, are a result of customer feedback and highlight the importance of having such an extended public beta program.

As you could probably have guessed, the revised version of Glass is only being made available to those that purchase the device today and moving forward. That means that current Glass owners won’t be able to exchange their headsets for the newer model, a service that was offered with the previous hardware refresh last fall.

Permalink to story.

Imagine they upgraded it to 4GB, how pissed the "explorers" would have become! :)

It goes without saying, only 5% of people look smarter wearing Google Glass, while the rest 95% look dumber. If you figure out which one you are, you very well may be the minority, though I still wouldn't take the chance.

I'd love to misplace this google glass 2 into a 'blond only ladies room' for scientific purposes: are blond ladies really dumb or am I dumb enough to commit crime in a blatant way?

Imagine they upgraded it to 4GB, how pissed the "explorers" would have become! :)
It goes without saying, only 5% of people look smarter wearing Google Glass, while the rest 95% look dumber.
What you are suggesting is that the 95%(explorers) just became the dumb ones. lol
I'd love to misplace this google glass 2 into a 'blond only ladies room' for scientific purposes: are blond ladies really dumb or am I dumb enough to commit crime in a blatant way?
I would say that if you find a need to commit this crime to find out, it is not the blondes that are dumb.

"VitalyT said:
It goes without saying, only 5% of people look smarter wearing Google Glass, while the rest 95% look dumber. "

These 95% need Googleglass because not just look dumber but fact is.

Don't believe all the 'blonde women' jokes you hear. :)

There are places and uses for these Google glasses in many circumstances but Google touts them as a must have fashion accessory. I'll have to laugh at people who refuse to wear their prescription glasses citing it makes them look dumb and encourages people to call them '4 eyes'. I guess that's all about to go out the window with Google's new contraption. As far as I'm concerned, you can keep them... until they don't look so ridiculously obvious and most importantly, they come down to 50 bucks or less.

There are places and uses for these Google glasses in many circumstances but Google touts them as a must have fashion accessory. I'll have to laugh at people who refuse to wear their prescription glasses citing it makes them look dumb and encourages people to call them '4 eyes'. I guess that's all about to go out the window with Google's new contraption. As far as I'm concerned, you can keep them... until they don't look so ridiculously obvious and most importantly, they come down to 50 bucks or less.
hehehe. I have a friend working in the medical industry who wears eyeglasses for his 'eyesight problem'. I suspect he is just faking and just use the eyeglasses for the 'dignified look' as he does not wear any prescription eyeglasses when playing basketball.
(afaik, doctors with eyeglasses have more patients. I could be wrong though. :) )

New Google Glass models ship with twice as much RAM, larger battery
kidding: hope the larger battery is not in the car or as large. :)

Elsewhere, Google has also added a viewfinder to make framing photos easier. The software update additionally includes two new Google Now cards: one to remind you where you parked your car and another to let you know when packages are headed your way.
All of these changes, Google said, are a result of customer feedback and highlight the importance of having such an extended public beta program.
lol, 'smartpeople' now have devices which remind them of the same everything.
smartwatch = tells time/vital signs, informs emails, take pics/videos
smartphone = tells time, informs emails, take pics/videos, package tracker via app/internet.
google glass = tells time, informs emails, take pics/videos, tells where the car is, package tracker

Just make sure you put the seat down after you plant the glasses.......

Back