TechSpot

New graphics card crashes system

By golfnut
Jan 24, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just bought a new GeForce FX 5500 128mb AGP card.
    When I first installed it, the display came up but it wouldn't install the drivers from the disk. I called PNY and they told me to download the latest drivers. After a re-boot, the screen was dark....green power light was on, but nothing would display. It even sounded as though windows was loading....listening to the startup sounds. I pushed the reset button, and it brought up safe mode. I pressed to install windows normally and nothing happened. Tried resetting again, brought up safe mode, and tried booting in safe mode.....nothing happened.
    I was forced to re-install windows using the old graphics card. Everything worked fine. I tried again to re-install the new card.....same thing happened....crashed. It wouldn't even boot into windows. And I did uninstall the graphics drivers prior to install.
    Why is this new card crashing???
    I have a MSI KT4V MB
    supports 1 AGP 8x/4x 1.5V and 6 PCI
    PNY 1 GB ddr 333 sdram
    Enermax PS: ATX 12V, 370W, 27A total 12V
    Windows XP SP2
    Old graphics card is GeForce 2 TI AGP
    And it has a AMD Athlon 1800+ CPU

Do I need to up the voltage to 1.7V?
    Disable fast writes?
    It also automatically tells bios to choose auto, instead of choosing 4x, etc.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.