New graphics card help

Status
Not open for further replies.

filipmike33

Ok i currently have a 64MB GeForce graphics card and bought a new ATI Alastor 128MB AGP card. Now i installed the hardware and the drivers, so I reseted my computer and took out the GeForce and used my new ATI, it works fine for two minutes then freezes. Was i suppose to disable the 64MB first or does it not matter? please help.

U didn't mention which geforce card u previously had e.g 'geforce 2 MX 400 or 440' etc. Also u didn't mention which ATI model u just bought e.g radeon 9200, 9600 etc. First clearly provide this information to make the picture clear n also wht exactly u meant when u said 'Was i suppose to disable the 64MB first or does it not matter?' bcoz u cannot disable this coz u were using 64mb card earlier and then u took it out and installed new ati card then where does this disable thing came, plz clarify these questions first :)

Here is the typical order in which things are done.

Boot up in "safe mode" and go into your device manager. Find your current graphics and delete the drivers.

Shut off computer and boot into BIOS. Look for your graphics settings. It varies from bios to bios exactly what you need to change, but look for anything related to graphics and change from onboard to ..... agp? pci? What kind of card are you trying to install?

Shut off computer and take out the old (unless it is integrated of course), put in the new. Hook your monitor up to the new card and turn on.

Your system should auto-detect new hardware. Follow instruction to install new drivers.

Good luck!

fajoo24 said:
U didn't mention which geforce card u previously had e.g 'geforce 2 MX 400 or 440' etc. Also u didn't mention which ATI model u just bought e.g radeon 9200, 9600 etc. First clearly provide this information to make the picture clear n also wht exactly u meant when u said 'Was i suppose to disable the 64MB first or does it not matter?' bcoz u cannot disable this coz u were using 64mb card earlier and then u took it out and installed new ati card then where does this disable thing came, plz clarify these questions first :)

The 64MB is the MX440 and the ATI is 9200, the only reason why i asked about the disable thing because i looked at the file manager and it gave me two things..either i can disable or not. but i'll try the one Don posted and then i'll come back to tell you guys how it went.

when installing a new card, you must completely uninstall the old card's drivers in windows. Then before you install the new card, check your BIOS and make corrections in BIOS as per the capability of your new card. If for example, your new card is 128mb and your old one is 64mb, then in your BIOS you must enable 128mb access. Some motherboards so this automatically, most don't. RTFM.

then install your new drivers with the new card and any windows or manufactuer's updates as from the appropriate websites.

well i uninstalled the new driver then i uninstalled the old driver. Made sure my BIO setting is correct. Then installed the new Graphics card as well as the drivers but every 5-10mins the damn thing freezes. What am i doing wrong?

It could be that your power supply doesn't have enough power, or that the graphics card is overheating.

To start the troubleshooting, try updating your chipset drivers for your motherboard, and if that doesn't work, try updating your bios. If these don't fix you up, then I'd start look at what I have mentioned above.

DonNagual said:
It could be that your power supply doesn't have enough power, or that the graphics card is overheating.

To start the troubleshooting, try updating your chipset drivers for your motherboard, and if that doesn't work, try updating your bios. If these don't fix you up, then I'd start look at what I have mentioned above.

Is 450watts enough? and i'll try to update all of those and post back my results. Also how do i keep it from overheating? I already have two fans.

filipmike33 said:
Is 450watts enough?

450W may be an overkill for your system. More important than how many watts (within reason of course) is how many amps the PSU is putting out on the 12v rail. First go here and calculate how many watts your system needs:
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

Then get yourself a good PSU from a company like FSB, Enermax or Antec. Probably can get a 350-400W psu in the $50 range.

and i'll try to update all of those and post back my results.

I'd definately update your chipset drivers and bios first, as this may be the cause and not the PSU. Also try right clicking on "my computer" then "manage" then "event viewer" and poking around in there to see what kinds of errors are being reported. It may give you a hint as to what is causing your freezes.

Also how do i keep it from overheating? I already have two fans.

There is a fairly primitive way to test if your graphics card is overheating. Just open up your case panel and point a big house fan on your graphics card. Try playing some games. If this stops the freezes you know you have a cooling problem. But first physically inspect your system. Is the fan on the graphics card spinning? Look for dust buildup on any of your fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back