new graphics card installation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastrise15

I just bought a ati radeon 9250 graphics card and i am having major problems that i cannot figure out myself

i put in the cd it came with and installed everything before i began the hardware installation

next i turned off the computer opened the case and installed the card, i made sure the card was in all the way

now i connected the cords back and tried to turn on my comp

it only got to the microsoft windows xp black screen, loaded for a while and then froze up

i have no idea what is wrong

my comp is a

hp 3.06 GHz
160 gb hard drive
512 mb ram
and it says on the sticker on the front that it has an intel graphics media accelerator 900 with 128 mb of memory

please help , im soooo beyond frustrated

hp eh? i'd expect such behavior from said brand, they make some pretty shoddy machines on many levels. anyways:

leave the new card installed and start the computer. go into the bios and disable your onboard video card. restart the computer, pressing F8 (you can press it all you want, do not hold it down) whilst the computer is starting until you are prompted with a windows xp boot screen. select safe mode. once booted into safe mode, go into the control panel and open the system panel. go to hardware, then device manager. look under 'display adapters', and remove any device you find there. reboot the machine, selecting start windows normally if prompted.

actually i had just done that myself before i ever got to reading your thread, my problem that ive been trying to figure out for the past hour is that now my computer thinks that there are 2 monitors connected, i can open windows and stuff and i can see the boxes moving offscreen to the left, how do i correct this so that only one monitor is present

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back