New Graphics card - Radeon vs nVidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellyjohndog

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an HP pavilion with an nVida Motherboard "ABM2n-LA" Win XP media edition and I just installed a Radeon HD 4670 512mb Graphics card. The graphics look great and seem to be working fine but there is no sound. Under the control panel it says no sound devices?

I uninstalled it and tried it without the HD audio drive and still no sound.
I take the card out and the sound is fine.?

Should I get an nVidia 8600 instead?

Yes I have the latest dirvers. I tried it with and with out the lateset drivers. Another site mentioned the hdmi? whatever that is I have an nVidia 7600GS already and it works okay for most of my games, I was trying to upgrade, so I thought the 8600 might be a logical choice.

Check for Device Manager problem devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. (may few second till new window opens)
  • Expand Components (click + sign next to it)
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click it, then Edit->Select All then Edit->Copy and then paste into your next post

Generate a DirectX report
click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
Notice progress in lower left window corner
When done, click Save Information button

In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the reports. (If you don't see icon you may need to first cick Go Advanced)

No Sound

There are no problem devices. I downloaded all of the software on the CD including HD Audio Driver

I did the DX report, it is attatched. still no sound
Please Help.
:)

Additional drivers still no sound?

I did a little research downloaded some XP media center specific drivers from the ATI site and still no sound. My realtek driver is gone now. Can i replace it? This sucks I have been waiting for this video card for a month and now no sound.
Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help
John

Omg!!! Grrrr

this blows! I take the card out sound is fine, reinstall the card 15 different ways, no sound. Install patches, downloaded realtek again, no sound. I am gonna throw this 4670 piece of garbage in the street and go but an nVidia 8600
the 8600 cant be worse if this one overwrites my audio driver. wtf? any clues?
anyone wanna trade?

The card comes with its own onboard audio, which will automatically become the default sound driver. To change it to your motherboard's onboard sound, use these steps:

Windows XP users:

1. Go to your Control Panel under the Start Menu.
2. Find the “Sounds and Audio Devices” icon and open it.
3. Click on the “Audio” tab.
4. Select the audio source you want in the drop down menu under “Default Device”
5. Hit OK and close the window. Then reboot your PC.

Vista users:

1. Go to your Control Panel under the Start Menu.
2. Find the “Sound” icon and double-click it.
3. Click on the “Playback” tab on the top of the program, you’ll see all audio sources your computer contains.
4. Select the audio source you want to use in the drop down menu under “Default Device”
5. Hit OK and close the window. Then reboot your PC.

Alternatively, go into the motherboard's BIOS and set your onboard sound device from "Auto" to "On" or "Enabled", whichever applies. Then save settings and see if the onboard audio works.

Lastly, try to contact the card manufacturer (Sapphire, ASUS, HIS or whatever brand yours is. Don't contact ATI) and get a replacement, since the card's onboard sound seems to be malfunctioning from what I can see.

Thanks anyway, Update

I have the Radeon listed on eBay and have decided to go with the nVidia 8600gts. I spoke with an HP guy and he said there is a compatability issue with the Radeon card and the sound chip and that the 8600gts will work perfectly.
Untill I upgrade my mother board this is as good of a gaming machiene I can get.
I am looking and the nVidia 8300 chipset to build an ultimate gamming machine.
Peace.
Sorry Red Team I am an nVida fan now

I am gonna throw this 4670 piece of garbage in the stree

LMFAO sorry for laughing man, but that was funny, the way you said it haah.

Anyways, i had the same problem with my computer, which is a intel 810chip. My onboard sound hasn't come back yet, and when it does, it disappears again. I bought some POS PNY 8400GS and when i put the card in, my onboard sound disappeared.

I am never buying PNY again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back