New Graphics card slowed down my Pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i upgraded my graphics card today from an AGP 32mb sis300/305 to a PCi Powercolor Radeon 9250 128mb. I uninstalled the old drivers and installed the new PCi card and updated the drivers. My pc now runs very very slow, the mouse pointer dissapears regularly and any programs or internet pages now open very slowly from the top of the page gradually to the bottom. I reinstalled my old AGP32mb card and all is fine again.
Why is my new 128mb PCi card slowing down my Pc, even the XP welcome screen unravels itself slowly on start up? Any knowledge on the subject would be appreciated.
PS: PC was running great before graphics card upgrade, only upgraded to use up PC world vouchers.
Regards.

Xp Pro (all updates)
17" Flat screen Monitor
2.1ghz Celeron Cpu
512Mb DDr Ram

hi
why a pci card??
u got an agp slot, even if its only agp 2.0 (4x max) it will be a lot better than a pci. Anyway this dont explain the lag problem.
The only thing comming to my mind is updating the drivers from ati´s page.
If u can tell us ur psu wattage will help a lot to think more possibilities about this.
I recomend you to get a radeon 9600 xt agp video card. It will be a lot faster than ur actual card and its relative cheap on ebay.

Good luck

My Psu wattage seems to be 250w. Would this be the problem?
Im not much into games so not bothered about running high spec games.
Its just the whole pc is much much slower, which i cant understand.
Ive double checked ive uninstalled old drivers.
Ive downloaded latest drivers from ATis website.
And i double checked for spyware etc.

FYI-FIXED, You guys didnt know this?

Turned out i had "Mouse Pointer Shadow" turned on. Apparently directdraw dosent support this. Disabled the pointer shadow in Control panel and Pc is running at full speed again.
Im suprised none of you Tech peps knew about this!??.
If you didnt know-now you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back