New graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to get a new graphics card, but due to my windows media edition BS, most won't fit in the slot provided. i was looking at a PNY Verto GeForce 6600 256MB DDR AGP, possibly could this fit? my specs are here, its a HP Media Center m1265c Desktop PC. i'd like to ideally be able to still watch movies but actually be able to play most games that require shaders (ei. nearly all new games).

No, sadly it won't work becuase all you have are pci slots (not pci-express). The best video card for you would probably be the ATI Radeon X1300 PCI. Pci slots are pretty much dead for using newer video cards.

It depends on what king of games do you want to play. Movies should play great (even onboard cards can do that), but games, are a different story.

An X1300 GPU is not too powerful, now imagine it crippled by the PCI's shared bandwith....

Still, it is more powerful than a Geforce 6200, but IMHO, it's not worth the big price...

wolfram said:
now imagine it crippled by the PCI's shared bandwith....

Still, it is more powerful than a Geforce 6200, but IMHO, it's not worth the big price...

i don't know what PCI shared bandwith is so i can't imagine it :angel: but as of right now, my current card doesn't support a certain shader so 90% of games don't work, or get 5 FPS. 120 bucks is a good price tag for me, as i'm not a hardcore gamer, just a weekend warrior, i'd just like the new game savage 2 to run decently. i appreciate everyones expert advice.

PCI's normal bandwith is 133 MB/s (or 166 MB/s??). But if you have for example, a PCI sound card, a PCI network card, a PCI TV Tuner card, and a X1300 PCI card, that 133 MB/s bandwith will be shared between all those PCI cards, reducing the video card's performance.
By contrast, AGP 8X has a dedicated 2GB/s bandwith, and PCI-E has up to 8GB/s bandwith (correct me someone if I'm wrong ;))

But anyway, if you are not a harcore gamer, and don't mind about running games @ 1024*768 or 800*600 resolution, then the X1300 is a great option. Plus it has Shader Model 3.0 support.
It is without a single doubt, the fastest PCI video card out there.

Regards :wave:

Intel's website said:
With up to 4 GB/s of peak bandwidth per direction, and up to 8 GB/s concurrent bandwidth, a platform configured with a PCI Express x16 graphics card can tackle the most demanding multimedia tasks.

You're correct mate. My fault hehe :)

thanks so much guys, i learn something new every day!. 1024X768 is way above what i'm used to, right now i run savage2.00 at 800X600, get 15 FPS in fights and have the lowest graphics settings... go ahead and laugh lol

I won't laugh, because I was on a similar situation. I had to deal with integrated graphics, and I ran most games @ 640x480 resolution, lowest settings, and got no more than 20 FPS. And then I got a 9600XT, and everything was SO much smoother... Even with a Celeron processor...

hey guys, i'd like to follow up. i bought a ATI Radeon X1300 PCI last monday, and installed it. aweful instructions on how to install it, and i later realized i needed a new cable for my monitor. $140 for the video card and $10 for the cable. not bad, as i was expecting to pay closer to 250 for a mid line graphics card, but that idea was shot down seeing i have only PCI inserts (GAY!!!).

now the review, besides being difficult to install, i'm not really impressed with the quality of gameplay. CS:S, HL2 and savage run awesomely great, 25 FPS+ in combat with medium settings (1024X864 and medium graphics), but i find some games don't really agree with the video card ei. Rise and Fall, which lags like my old card. movies still play great, and i'd give it a 7/10.

i appreciate everyones help. overall, i'd recomend the card to a casual gamer (e.i. me) playing a few games a few hours a week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back