TechSpot

New Graphics Card

By TheCase
Oct 10, 2007
  1. Hi,

I have a 256mb ATI Radeon graphics card now. I am a gamer and I would like to increase the graphics card but then thinking a bit more the only advantage would be slight increase in loading time if I would go for 512mb and it would support Directx 10 so there is no point really? I have a 19" screen and it works super graphics I currently got, can anyone tell me if there is really any point?

Thanks

2. Jase123

Jase123 Banned Posts: 1,012

well i aren't going for directx 10 for a while yet. I'm waiting for more games to come out that are directx 10.

I would stay as you are for the time being.

Regards Jase :)

3. TheCase

TheCase TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 76

Ok. I am planing to get a 32" HD screen so I will also have to get an HD Graphisc Card how well will it work on a 256mb normal graphics card for the time being?

Thanks

4. Jase123

It should work on your ATI card.

5. TheCase

6. Jase123

I think that would be ok, you might get some shadowing, but i think it would be fine.

7. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

Thats a tv, not a monitor.

8. TheCase

I know its a TV, I want to go for a TV to connect to my computer instead of a mointor. What do you mean by shadowing

Thanks

9. Jase123

Yes, i know rik lol. I told him that before and he said yes i want it lol.

10. TheCase

What is wrong about using the TV as a monitor the TV's are more cheaper

11. Rik

Tv instead of a monitor?? Thats a very bad idea that wont work well.

He meant ghosting, where you get multiple images for a split second during sudden movement i think.

12. Jase123

Tv's aren't cheaper. You can get a good monitor, with a reponse time of 2ms for around £200.

Edit: Yes, rik is right about the ghosting, and tv's don't go well for a computer.

13. Rik

Tv's and monitors have completely different electronics in them. You will never get the image quality on a tv that you get from a monitor from a pc.

I know what i speak of, i have spent over 15 years in the electronics industry.

Courtesy of Howard, here's why - http://www.monitorworld.com/faq_pages/q7_page.html

14. Jase123

Completely agree with you rik.

Also, 32 inch is not going to be a very good picture, especially as your a gamer.

15. TheCase

16. Jase123

Yes, but what you have got to understand is, like rik said, you are not going to get the quality as you would with a monitor.

They are two complete different things.

17. TheCase

I was just replying to this bit. Maybe it is out of my budject then well thanks for your help

Thanks

18. Jase123

No worries mate.

But consider your choice wisely, we have given you some points, so it's up to you what you get now.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.