New Half Life 2 Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidosmosis

This is NOT a direct quote from the German PC magazine, but an explanation of what the reader read inside the magazine.

Status of HL2: According to Gabe, currently they let people play-test the game, to balance the chapters better. They have noticed, that most of the tester spent a lot of time in playing with the physics, so they may increase the number of these little parts. He also said that they are planning to release it in Late summer this year and he apologized for septemer 30. he also said, that the stolen code wasn't the reason for the delay, they had a bad schedueling

The beginning is not the scene we saw in the bink with alyx and kleiner (was the name of the scientist, right?), there's a level before this, where gorden wakes up next to a railway-station like in HL1. he makes his way through city 17 with combine around who don't attack him, but watch ihim susspiciously.

gordon's biggest enemy isn't the G-man, it's another scientist who's called "Dr. Breen". Gabe pointed out in a interview, that he isn't one of the typical bad bad bosses, more like someone who has his own ideas in dealing with a alien invasion

there are a few new screeshots, on one you can see a cemetery which gordon has to cross with an allied priest called Gergory, according to the text. the other interessting screenshot is one, where you can see a new vehicle I think. Looks a bit like a Commanche Gunship, it's definitly not the Combine aircraft from one of the buggy video. Looks more like a Human Chopper

Spoiler:
in the text about the start of the game is also stated, that you are attacked by a combine with some kind of electric shock-stick (after you saw him taken 2 civilians as prisonder), which is also printed on one page in a combine's hand (looks pretty much like an artwork, but if it's stated in the text... maybe some new melee?)

Again, this is NOT A DIRECT QUOTE FROM THE magazine, but a readers explanation of what he has read.

Sorry. I didn't like the original, and this one doesn't impress me at all. The only thing that has impressed me is the convenience of available excuses for Valve's lack of talent. I'll wait for Doom 3.

And what is it about Doom 3 that makes it preferable? A good plot perhaps?

half life pwns. doom 3 will definately have a better "scare factor" though. that's all i can think of that would make it preferable over HL2

I'm looking forward to both D3 and HL2, but I'm not sure if I'll play anyone of them to the end...

HL2 is currently looking very tempting, but the plot has to live up to the expectations... (I played about half of HL, but after a while it just got more of the same, and I couldn't be bothered to finish).

D3... Maybe... I did complete Doom, Doom][ and The Ultimate Doom, but with all the focus on making a scaring game I'm no longer sure... Especially so since iD doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to single player playability...
(Ie.
a:
find key/switch.
Find door key opens.
Go through
goto a)

But I'm very much looking forward to the multiplayer part of both games (even if D3 is limited to 4 players (or whatever that number was))

I'll probably play both of them to the end - I am anxious about both HL2 and Doom3 - I just didn't like HL1 at all. I tried it several times - installed it at least 10 times hoping I would like it better the next time. I only grew to hate it even more each time. Because of that I grew to hate CounterStrike also - finally - a few years later I came to the conclusion that so many people played CS mainly because anyone can run it - very meager hardware requirements. By this point there were so many games out with similar tactics involved but with much better engines - but it seems at all the big lan parties I went to all the CS people were playing on crappy machines. Sure, you'd find one or two here and there that were on the cusp of cutting edge, but in general there were more software rendering people than the prior group. HL2 looks amazing - though I'm pretty frustrated with Valve and all the lying they've been doing to everyone - so I'll just not pay it ANY attention till the game actually hits store shelves. Doom 3 on the other hand is being written by a genius. That's right, I said it, Carmack is a genius. I've always loved playing his most recent projects in the dark and late at night with the volume cranked. Only big mistake I'm seeing here is that there is no co-op mode being included with the initial distribution of Doom 3 for the PC - let's just hope he fixes that with an early patch. Well, enough of my ranting for now :)

If you want scare factor + story, then System Shock 2 was fantastic (one of my all time favourite games). I wish there was a sequel made using either HL2 or Doom 3 engines.

What did they take these on? A GeForce 3? I'm not impressed at all. The Doom 3 graphics are much better. My guess is that these captures were not taken with everything on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back