New Hard Drive size not being recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

scmcginley

I originally posted under an old thread I had but I just found out that the person who assisted me in the past has retired from the board. I am therefore reposting as a new thread

Last week, my PC would no boot up. Instead I was being advised of the following:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file."

I ended up having to use the Dell PC restore function to restore my computer to the factory settings. Fortunately I was able to pull my data off my hard drive before I restored my OPC. (I also now have an external hard drive, just in case)

A few days later one of my hard drives failed (I have RAID). I decided to replace both hard drives (actually only one for storage purpose because of the RAID function). Was able to pull my files off my old hard drive and got all of my programs back up and running.

I had a 250 GB hard drive. I installed a new 320BGB Seagate Hard Drive. When I check the drive size it shows the old hard disk size. Why would my PC not show that I now have a 320 GB (actually two 320GB drives are installed in my PC order to use the RAID option). The hard disks installed are 320GB Seagate 12MB Cache. I can provide a picture of what my PC shows if necessary.

Why would my PC (Dell E510) not recognize the increased hard drive.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Are the new drives in RAID configuration too? And you replaced the old drives by replacing one, then letting the array rebuild, then replacing the other drive and rebuilding again?

Even if you replace the drives in a RAID array, the array itself is not automatically resized. Your RAID management software may have an option to resize the array to fit the new (bigger drives). If this is not the case, then you have to delete the existing and and recreate it from scratch.

Thanks for the information. I think I will have to to recreate from scratch if I want to access the increased hard drive sapce. Otherwise, I will just stay with the 250MB that I have access to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back