New Harddrive are they all compatible

By andrwleong
Jan 29, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I need a new hard drive are they all compatible or do I have to buy one to match my motherboard?
  2. tomrca

tomrca Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,051

i think in general they are compatible, then someone will disagree. why dont you let everyone know what mobo you have, then someone may advise you better.
  3. andrwleong

andrwleong Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 18

Hi

Thanks for the fast reply.How do I find out what my mobo is with out opening the pc :)
  4. tomrca

tomrca Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,051

get everesthome free edition from HERE it will give you information what is in your pc
  5. andrwleong

thanks tomrca.

Motherboard Name: Gigabyte GA-7VTXE+
  6. N3051M

N3051M Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,800

You can use IDE Hard drives with that motherboard. Plenty of options there..

To install the HDD (depending if its an add-on or replacement) simply look up the installation instructions from the manufacturer's website, otherwise its as simple as turning off your PC, unplugging the mains power, opening the case and installing it (plug power and data cables in, set jumper settings to correct setting) then setting up the pc to use the new HDD.
  7. andrwleong

fantasitc. Thanks for the help.

Hope the jumper settings arnt too hard to work out :S
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.