New HardDrives are not recognized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HitmanAngel2k3

Well I just bought 2 Seagate 250GB HDDs Ultra ATA/100. My PC already had 2 other HDDs: 80 GB Seagate ST380013A and 80 GB WD WD800JB. I also bought Ultra ATA/133 controller card in order to add those other 2 new HDDs. When I boot up my XP, and go to my computer it doesn't show that those two new HDDs are there. Should I put jumper on pins in a back of HDD, because right now, there are no jumpers there, set as slaves on both of them? Can some please help me out? Thank you in advance.

PS. I have Asus P4S800 motherboard and I'm running XP Pro SP2 if that helps.

Once again, thank you in advance.

Should I put jumper on pins in a back of HDD, because right now, there are no jumpers there, set as slaves on both of them?
You have to set the jumpers, otherwise the drives will not work. If they are sharing the same IDE cable, you'll need to specify one as master and the other as slave. If they are both on seperate cables by theirselves, then they need to be set to Master or Single Master (available only on some drives). If the drives are sharing the cable with other drives, you need to set them accordingly... there should always be one slave and one master when 2 drives are on the same cable.

Another thing to consider is PCI driver controllers often need drivers. You haven't mentioned installing them, so I just wanted to make sure your card has been installed in Windows. You can double check by going to Start > Run > devmgmt.msc (device manager)

Driver for controller card has been installed. So I should connect those 2 new HDDs separately to controller card and set them as masters?

HitmanAngel2k3 said:
Driver for controller card has been installed. So I should connect those 2 new HDDs separately to controller card and set them as masters?

That would be ideal. Drive 1 would be connected by itself on a cable connector to the first IDE channel on your PCI card. Drive 2 would be connected by itself on a second cable on the second IDE channel of your PCI card. Both drives should be set to master.

There's no real harm in putting them together on the same cable either, to reduce cable clutter. But if you choose to do this, one must be matter and one must be slave. It doesn't matter which one. Often times you can use cable select, but manually setting your drives to master/slave eliminates some potential problems.

Are you using Promise ATA controller Card? Reason why I mention this is that there are XP drivers that needed to be installed. What I would do if I was you. Install one of those new HDDs on the Controller one at a time. Do you have any mapped drives , CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, USB- HDD present on this PC?

Rick said:
That would be ideal. Drive 1 would be connected by itself on a cable connector to the first IDE channel on your PCI card. Drive 2 would be connected by itself on a second cable on the second IDE channel of your PCI card. Both drives should be set to master.

There's no real harm in putting them together on the same cable either, to reduce cable clutter. But if you choose to do this, one must be matter and one must be slave. It doesn't matter which one. Often times you can use cable select, but manually setting your drives to master/slave eliminates some potential problems.

tipstir said:
Are you using Promise ATA controller Card? Reason why I mention this is that there are XP drivers that needed to be installed. What I would do if I was you. Install one of those new HDDs on the Controller one at a time. Do you have any mapped drives , CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, USB- HDD present on this PC?

-Thank you, I'm going to try to set up the jumpers and we'll see what
happens.

-Yeah, drives, ROMs and everything else has been mapped.

1. All 4 drives must be off the controller.
put the master drive and slave (original drives) on channel 0
put the new drives (secondary master and slave on channel 1

2. Ensure the new drives are properly jumpered
3. ensure the cables are properly oriented
4. Ensure the controller card drivers are also loaded.
5. With that many drives on 1 system, you may also need a bigger PSU.

6. If your mobo already has a direct ATA hookup and it is 133, then run all the drives off of that instead of using a controller card. If not, then use a controller card.

Tedster said:
1. All 4 drives must be off the controller.
put the master drive and slave (original drives) on channel 0
put the new drives (secondary master and slave on channel 1

2. Ensure the new drives are properly jumpered
3. ensure the cables are properly oriented
4. Ensure the controller card drivers are also loaded.
5. With that many drives on 1 system, you may also need a bigger PSU.

6. If your mobo already has a direct ATA hookup and it is 133, then run all the drives off of that instead of using a controller card. If not, then use a controller card.

- In #1, you mean to connect all 4 HDDs to controller card?

- For #5, what PSU should I need?

- For #6, how can I determine if hook up is 133? If it helps I have Asus P4S800 Model of Motherboard.

Thank you once again.

make sure the bios can boot from controller card
you should be able to see the controller in the bios boot order
I wrote more info on your other post

-=Bump It Up=-

When I press power button, system tries to start up, but then shuts off :( Any idea what could it be?

Thanks in advance.

Yes that power supply should be able to handle that kind of load. But it doesn't mean its working properly, they do die occationally. Why don't you disconnect a drive and see if it boots, if not disconnect 2 of them. Just disconnect the power to the drives, no need to physically remove them or anything else. This really is something you should be doing already though, it should have been obvious if you think it might be power related to disconnect a couple drives.

Thanks SNG1275, I've disconnected those 2 new HDDs and PC booted up right away, but then I reconnected 2 new HDDs and system booted up also, so I think I'm going to order another PSU...maybe like 600W.

Also, I followed with what other ppl on here said and connected all 4 HDDs to controller card, BUT in the BIOS, it is not selectable to boot up from, but when system boots up it says that card is present and that system detects 4 HDDs and "press F3 to set up 1st set of HDDs" and when I start selecting...it only lets me select one 1 HDD and then it restarts and STILL says that HAL is corrupted, even when I set BIOS to boot up from CD-ROM, it still says that HAL.DLL is corrupted and new one needs to be installed. I tried taking out memory out and testing 1 stick @ a time, but still says same thing "HAL.DLL is corrupted".

Also, adding some pictures of the screens that appear before everything stops:

So how can I fix up the HAL.DLL when it won't even let me boot up from CD-ROM? *sad*

you must have a bios that will boot from the card
update the bios or check the specs for the newest bios to see if it fixs this issue
if not you can't boot from pci card

-If I can't boot from PCI card, then what do I do? Do I connect main drives back through mobo, and run 2 new ones from PCI card?

-Also, about the whole not booting up thing...it won't accept anything even after I go into BIOS to change to boot from cd-rom, it goes straight into that blank screen "HAL is corrupted" :mad: anybody else got suggestions?

put the original config back
reset cmos reboot enter bios reset to boot from first hard drive then from the cdrom
you must try to get the machine back to the way it was before adding the other drives
always a good practice to use master /slave jumper settings for PATA drives
once you have a bootable OS then upgrade that PSU
and or remove the 2nd data disc replace with one of the newer one's to check status
sometimes xp and W2K will give a HAL error with too many addon's at one time
IRQ conflicts
I don't see much of that with service pak 2 but I know the first release did it on a few machines I had

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back