New hardware old HD...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modena

Hi im about to build myself a system (first time) and i was wondering what do i have to do or if it is even possible using my old HD from a different system. What i was thinking of doing is just booting of the cd for all the hardware changes but i dont know, so any help appreciated thx.

you could use your old hard drive in a new build as long as the new motherboard has the same connectors on it i.e. ide or sata

you would need to run a windows repair off of a windows cd though to install the new motherboard drivers otherwise you won't be able to boot

make sure you boot straight off the cd the first time to run the repair, either by caning the first boot device in the bios or using the boot menu and selecting your optical drive

You are better off doing a fresh install if you've changed Chipsets etc.

Repair will work OK though.

SATA2 HDD's are as cheap as chips - $65 Australian for a 160Gb.
You could always do a fresh install on the new one, and use your oldie as a Slave, so all your Documents etc are easily accessible. Good idea to do a virus scan before you open anything or you'll infect your new install!

yes, you can reuse an old hard drive. You cannot, however, reuse windows on it. You must do a clean install if it is a boot drive. Older HDs are best for backing up to or using as extra storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back