New Heatsinks for my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilmog

Hey, recently i have been thinking about buying some new heatsinks for my computer, in hopes of being able to overclock it. I am looking for a new heatsink for my CPU, and GPU.
My Specs
-AMD Athalon 64 3500+ socket 939
-Nvidia 7800 GTX
Also, if you have any advice on ways to take off your old heatsinks, please tell me. Any help/suggestions is much appreciated. Thanks! :)
(sorry about the repeat post in CPU/Chipsets)

From experience, the CPU may be stuck to your stock heatsink. Take due care in removing it, twist it a little if you need to. Don't put in too much force. I've heard that removing the heatsink while its hot helps. Don't use a hairdryer to do this tho.

I'm assuming that you'll be playing games with your overclocked rig. The biggest inprovement in fps would be from overclocking the 7800. There are some good fans for this, the techspot reviews mentioned one, but I swear by the Zalman VF700-Cu (or the newer VF900-Cu). You'd need space in the comp for this, and good case ventilation tho.

I'm not very versed with the current CPU coolers out there at the moment, I'll let someone else fill you in on that.

The cooler you picked out for the GPU is a water-based cooling solution. There's no way I can recommend that particular one if you want to go that way.

For the risks you're taking, you might as well go for a full cooling solution. It would work alot better.

no, watercooling is just having waterblocks instead of heatsink (and fans) on your components. And you connect these and a pump with tubes, and have water running. And a huge *** radiator of course.

Its not for the uninitiated, if you've never changed a heatsink before, I wouldn't recommend it. There's also the risk of having water in a $3000 system (or even more), so weigh up the pros and cons.

If you're still interested in this, here's a nice little link:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=176597

What thread is a year old? My link? It sure is a year old, but the basics are there, and I believe is still quite relevent.

I think he was refering to his own post, not yours.

also, there's nothing wrong with the pci slot watercooler that crossfire suggested. it will still be more effective and quieter than air cooling.

and since it's an all-in-one unit, it would be almost as simple as changing a heatsink, a caveman could do it! :D

if the price of it's too rich for your blood, then you could get this one instead. it's less than 1/2 the price at only $40. it's bigger, but still an all-in-one solution so it would be easy to set up (it's probably quieter and more effective too)

I find it hard to believe that the Tt cooler will be much better than a good aircooling solution. Bear in mind no matter what medium you use to transfer heat off the GPU, its the surface area that counts. Looking at the pics, it doesn't seem as if there's alot more cooling surface compared to the Zalman VF900-Cu

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/04/13/thermaltake_tide_water_tackles_gpu_heat/page5.html

According to the graphs, the performance of this cooler seems to be marginally better than a good aircooler, and for that you get the whole hassle of having a watercooling system. Also, you might want to go to the conclusion on the link, they brought up some very important points to consider.

of course it's better... it's quiet! that is the point of watercooling... consistant temps and low noise.

air coolers (even good ones) are loud and do not keep temps consistant. the temps rise a considerable amount when the GPU is stressed, and fall when it's idle. water coolers keep them around the same temps whether they're stressed or not. and radiator fans do not need to run at full speed to effectively cool.

looking at the pics, there's quite a bit of surface area on the mini-radiator. don't forget that the water does not heat up as much as a heatsink does, so it therefore does not need as much surface area to cool down as an air cooler.

Well, let the results speak for itself: its not much cooler than air coolers, and of course the pros are there, but make sure you can handle the cons as well. I personally will be using a watercooling system, but most problems in using anything occurs because users only know the benefits, but not the pitfalls in using that particular item.

the results have spoken for itself, it cools better and does it quieter. I will admit however that I would not spend $80 for it.

pros and cons. If its suitable for your use, get it. I'd rather get a full watercooling system if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back