New Here with big problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bpierced

Hi thanks for putting this out here for people who have a question or two. I appreciate it. I have Windows XP and run Defender Pro 15 in 1 anti-virus and have run across this problem

Symptoms:
1.) Desktop wallpaper which was generic compac wallpaper has changed to a blue background with yellow and white message saying
"warning! spyware threat has been detected on your PC. Your computer has several fatal errors due to spyware activity. It is strongly recommended to install an antispyware software to close all security vunerabilities" If I click on it it takes me to a site trying to sell me spyware.
2.) Periodic tooltip messages hosting various warnings and basically telling me to use a type of (blatantly illiegitamate) spyware cleaner.
3.) Task manager is disabled. Message "task manager has been disabeld by your administrator". I am the only user. I have noticed as well that I had an icon from Windows defender installed that I did not install.

If you could that would be great. I only ask that you relate the information in the most simple language you possibly can.

Thanks

You are infected. I experienced this issue several years ago when I inadvertantly downloaded something I didn't want and whatever was loaded kept taking me to places I didn't want to go.

You are infected because of the blatant spyware "cures" you are asked to download.

And you are infected because task manager has been affected.

*** Go to the Security and the Web forums here at TechSpot and post there what you are experiencing. You will receive excellent, guided advice.

* Also, read the stickies at the top of that forum by Julio.

* Lastly, if you don't have a router get one and you will want to seriously think about other security software options. There are some great free ones. But only after you get your system cleaned up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back