New home 3D printer uses plastic bottles as filament

By Justin Kahn
Jul 1, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Plastic water and soda bottles create an enormous amount of waste every year even with all of the alternative options out there. One way to reduce this waste is with innovative upcycling programs that turn the otherwise environmentally harmful waste...

Read more
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  2. Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
  3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Now what we need is a 3D printer that allows for plastic bottles to be put in and melts them down into usable filament all on the spot.
  4. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,101   +95

When I read the headline, I was hoping for something like the Mr. Fusion reactor that you just put the waste in. I might pay their price for something like that, but they can forget it if I have to buy their filament as well...
  5. Great they are trying to literally sell trash to us now. hahahaha. They expect me to separate the trash for them for free and resell me other peoples trash for top dollar and just because it is such a great idea I should pay a premium for a printer that most people have no use for. Do I look like I am 4 and need stupid plastic toys? hahahaha. Also my son can... Wait a minute I have no sun. So I won't need one after all. Dog. He needs bones not stupid plastic toys.
  6. I know that this is off topic but what comes right before 55? It is 54.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 dam not enough space. hahahaha
  7. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

So not only does it come with a price premium thanks to will I am but you have to fork out for the filament as well....

To me it looks like an advertising stint specially as will I am is in it but also due to the fact it doesnt work as it should so :/
  8. Yeah, print a plastic bottle from plastic bottle.
  9. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Same... I was expecting it to be like that, but instead it is 25% recycled filament... LAME.
    Wendig0 likes this.
  10. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,423   +470

Well I won't get into the hate wagon.

I think that it's an amazing idea, hopefully it will atract other industries in the market to acchieve the same in the end improving their prices (Although I'm not sure how expensive it must be to reprocess those bottles and adding the other products to make it usable) benefitting the consumer helping the enviroment and in the end game, benefitting us all.
  11. Guy Gagnon

Guy Gagnon TS Rookie

This is sweet, we are so close to Star Trek replicators I can taste it!!
    With the advent of 3d food printers, now recycled waste printers... Its very very exciting... and somewhat scary... Example: 12yr old hacks printer, makes gun, shoots people.

Thanks for the info Techspot!
  12. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

I'll do it for you :)

Did you see this?
    Turning waste into something new is called 'REcycling' If we start calling it 'up'-cycling I'm going to start throwing my soda-bottles in the trash (should we call that downcycle?) and claim I don't understand this upcycling fad.

Clearly this is a sign that I'm getting old and crusty.
    Phr3d and Nick_Knac like this.
  13. I have some doubts about this project, hope somebody has an answer, I would like to know what’s the composition of the filaments, is it PET? As is a hard material to extrude, or is the filament made of the PP from the caps? Also how is the process to recover the bottles and transform them into cartridges? Is the packaging of the printer or the cartridges also using recycled material? What exactly do they mean with this 25% post consumer recycled materials?
  14. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,423   +470

Lol! I read it a couple times before I got it, english is not my first language haha, but still...

Well to clarify things a bit there is a major difference, recycling is using the same item for the same purpose, upcycling on the other hand is converting it into something new.

For example, glass bottles, those are used and washed and processed to become usable again, as bottles, this is recycling. To take that bottle and convert it into... don't know, a glass ceiling, that is upcycling.

Yeah I know it's a fad but... it has its sense in it's own way :p
    MilwaukeeMike likes this.