New install of XP home shows as 4.5g folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnugen

I have the same CD version of XP home on mine and both my daughters' PCs. Mine and one of their PCs shows it as roughly 1.5g windows folder. My other daughters PC has it as roughyl 4.5g. This is a small 6.4g HDD that originally had win2K on it.........but when putting XP on, reformatted in NFTS format and deleted all partitions to keep it as one disk. I have looked and cannot find what is taking all this room, take 2/3 of the HDD........doesn't seem right to me. Any suggestions as to what to look for?? I only installed the mobo drivers and sound drivers........nothing out of the ordinary. Showed this way twice..........tried a reinstall after finding this size the first time.......I am baffled.

Try reinstalling on a FAT32 partition. I had a similar problem not long ago (huge number of files, insane filesizes, etc. right after a fresh install) and switching back to FAT32 solved it for me. Couldn't really understand why though. :(

Old recycle bins (in \RECYCLER directory) and System Restore files (in "\System Volume Information" directory) can take a lot of space. They're both hidden by default, and System Volume Information needs to have administrative rights added if you want to read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back