New Intel Core Duo doesn't fit!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

someone153

I just bought a Intel Core Duo CPU to find out it doesn't fit in my socket 478. I think it is a socket 479. Is there an adapter that I can use to make it fit?

Thanks

We're gonna need more information about your system. Look in the box of the CPU and see if it says what socket it is. if it is S479, why dont u exchange it for an S478 instead of spending more on an adapter...

Fill out your public profile with your system specs, or put it in your sig, or include it in your messages.

Unfortunatly I got it with out a box so I have to guess which socket it is.

Here is a picture of the Core Duo and Pentium 4:

t2600p42nt.jpg

The Core Duo is on the left and Pentium 4 on the right.

Now a little explantation of what is wrong:
(The dots are pins.)

Here is the upper right coner of a Pentium 4:

And here is the Core Dou:

So as you can see they are not the same...

Does anyone know what I should do?

Most of the Pentium 4 chips were socket 478. The new Duo chips are socket T I am pretty sure which are completely different. Even if it did fit probably would not work because the power pins and things like that are in different places. You need to get a new motherboard with the proper socket on it.

Jimbo420 said:
The name of the new sockets. They didn't use a number like they have been with socket 370 or socket 478

After I looked around it is Socket 775.

Here is the answer to my problem:

Intel Core Duos can only go with a couple of motherboards. Yes a couple, 2 to be exact...

Board 1

Board 2 <-Better One

Now for another question:

Does anyone know of a case that would go with Board 2?

Thanks

It's an ATX board so any ATX case should do. If you buy a case with an PSU already fitted in, make sure it has all the necesary power connectors for your motherboard & eventually your VGA card aswell.

someone153 said:

Here is the answer to my problem:

Intel Core Duos can only go with a couple of motherboards. Yes a couple, 2 to be exact...

Board 1

Board 2 <-Better One

Now for another question:

Does anyone know of a case that would go with Board 2?

Thanks
Ok your right I just went and looked but Socket T and Socket 775 are the same thing.

And I don't know where you are looking for motherboard for there are 168 Socket T motherboards on Newegg

Sorry miss read it you right you can't just put it on any board that says Socket T on it. But if you look at the specs and it says that it takes Pentium D or Pentium EE chips then it will work. More then two of those out there.

That is completely wrong. The current Core Duo does not use the same socket as Pentium-D or Pentium-EE. You need to either find a Socket-478 board that specifically supports the Core Duo with a 478-to-479 socket converter or one with the Socket-479 on it (as the ones he linked).

Didou said:
That is completely wrong. The current Core Duo does not use the same socket as Pentium-D or Pentium-EE. You need to either find a Socket-478 board that specifically supports the Core Duo with a 478-to-479 socket converter or one with the Socket-479 on it (as the ones he linked).
Actually there are Pentium D and Pentium EE processors that are on Socket T of Socket 775 what every ou want to call it. All of these are Pentium D and Pentium EE and they aren't socket 478.

Also to just get the facts correct Socket 479 is for Pentium M processors. There are adaptors so you can put Pentium M chip on a 478 Motherboard but doesn't really do him any good since he has a Socket 775 Proc.

He doesn't have a Socket 775 CPU. For one a Socket 775 doesn't even have pins, it has contacts & the pins are on the motherboard.

The CPU he has is loaded with pins on the underside so it can't possibly be for Socket 775.

ps. Core Duo = Pentium - M just with an extra core, more cache & some virtualisation features, nothing more.

Didou said:
He doesn't have a Socket 775 CPU. For one a Socket 775 doesn't even have pins, it has contacts & the pins are on the motherboard.

The CPU he has is loaded with pins on the underside so it can't possibly be for Socket 775.

ps. Core Duo = Pentium - M just with an extra core, more cache & some virtualisation features, nothing more.
Ok I am just going to take a step back and take a deep breathe here I think maybe I got confused. I was going off of this.
someone153 said:

Which is what I was using to base all of my arguments. Athough just like you said that picture is definately not a Socket 775 chip, and that that part that probably confused me that most was I thought that Core Duo was what they called a dual core chip where it was Pentium M or Socket 775. Or maybe it is and I am really confusing myself now I need to go and google stuff and read up on this again

Didn't mean anything by arguing with you Didou.

I'm not mad or anything no worries, it's just that a lot of misinformation sometimes gets posted & with the amount of posts on the forums, the people that do know the answer don't always get a chance to post it.

As the forum is very popular with many pages showing up on Google, it would be a shame for these same pages to have bad information.

Didou said:
I'm not mad or anything no worries, it's just that a lot of misinformation sometimes gets posted & with the amount of posts on the forums, the people that do know the answer don't always get a chance to post it.

As the forum is very popular with many pages showing up on Google, it would be a shame for these same pages to have bad information.
I can understand that and I don't mean to give out misinformation. I just misread this one or something :confused:

Jimbo420, we have all given wrong info or advice at some time, or at least most of us have. That is fairly easy to do. What isnt always easy for some people is to admit they were wrong, thats where the boys get separated from the men, and of course you belong with the men!

nork said:
Jimbo420, we have all given wrong info or advice at some time, or at least most of us have. That is fairly easy to do. What isnt always easy for some people is to admit they were wrong, thats where the boys get separated from the men, and of course you belong with the men!
Thanks for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back