TechSpot

New iOS 8 feature protects users from location-based WiFi tracking

By Justin Kahn
Jun 9, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. More features likely to appear in iOS 8 when it ships are continuing to surface. Another interesting change in Apple's popular mobile OS not mentioned on stage at last week's WWDC keynote is the way iOS 8 will handle MAC addresses...

Read more

2. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Guru Posts: 562   +173

Only a small fraction (none that I can even think of) would be considered "bad tracking". For example... in Calgary there is a major thoroughfare that goes on for about 35 km's, and they have signs up showing "time to **th ave" which is very handy. how they do this is your phone tags the tower and then when it tags the next tower the time is calculated anonymously to the road signs. This is just 1 example when sometimes people care about "privacy" (cool buzz word of the times) a bit too much and paranoid about everything.

3. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 865   +434

Hey Rippleman...why didn't you sign up on TechSpot with your real name? and for that matter, what's your address? and phone number?

How do you feel about privacy now?

4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Definitely a great feature...

xD

5. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,310   +56

I was always planning on having someone write my android app if the phone is stolen on iphone but I give up. Removes many of the apis you thought would always work. Dumbbell. No need to buy a mac.

6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,498   +2,051

Maybe you don't remember but we all had to sign up on TechSpot with our real names and email addresses, You could've used your real name as a nick if you wanted to.

7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

I think my first name is associated with my account, I don't remember being required to give my real name. You can use a temp email account to sign up.