New Laptop, Old CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Laptop, Old computer?

I have just bought a wonderful new Laptop, but I still would like to keep my old computer. However, I have the problem where my monitor for my old computer is big and clunky, so I was wondering if it is possible to link the old computer up to my new Laptop and just use my laptop for the monitor/keyboard set up for the old computer as well as for it's own computing power?

If there is, would I be able to switch between them?

I'd like to save space! =D

"CPU" does not mean "computer"!

What exactly do you want to do? You want to control the old computer using your laptop? Or do you want to use your existing keyboard/mouse/monitor for noth your laptop and the old computer?

You can set up Remote Desktop or VNC on the old computer and control it over the network using the laptop. You can buy a KVM switch to use one set of keyboard/mouse/monitor with two computers.

Nodsu said:
You want to control the old computer using your laptop?

You can set up Remote Desktop or VNC on the old computer and control it over the network using the laptop.

Yes, this is what I wanted! Thank you!

I knew there must be a way, but I did not know how.

(Also, thank you for correcting me about the CPU/computer thing. I now know that 'CPU' means 'central processing unit' and it is inside the computer. =D)

Heh. Someone is actually cheerful after getting one of my not-so-friendly looking replies :)

You're welcome.

If you have telnet activated you can always use it ^^.

I use VNC, it's good. But telnet doesn't need any installing (though it needs more knowledge).

Dang it...I hit a snag...

My Laptop can't reach any wireless networks here in my dorm room. I asked my Intro to Computers teacher and she said I could connect them with a hub. =D

I plan on going shopping as soon as I can find some time!

You don't even need a hub to connect two computers - a crossover ethernet cable will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back