New Linux user needs guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwhite

Hey there all.
I’m very new to linux, Fedora 3 to be exact. I have a couple of questions that I hope you can help with. I’m trying the KDE desktop. First is there some sites that would be a must read to help new linux users understand such things as installing programs, working with whatever linux or fedora call a device manager. On that same note, Fedora 3 comes with firefox build 1.0. I downloaded the latest version, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to install it. The second thing is where do you go to learn all the command lines. Some of you can whip out a command line faster than I can whip out my, uh, Dos diskette. I'll continue to check out some of the sites posted in the sticky above.
Most Appreciated!

Where did you get that latest version and in what form is it?

It is good for you to use official RPM packages made for Fedora. FC3 comes with a program called yum that can download, install and upgrade all your software automatically. As a beginner this is the only thing you should use to install/update your Linux software.

One thing that really bugs me is that I use Firefox all the time on Windows and can access the options for Firefox via tools / options. On Fedora 3 the options button is no where to be found. I just updated all of Fedora using the updater along with Firefox. Still no options for setting anything in Firefox. Clues anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back