TechSpot

New lithium-ion battery promises 70 percent charge in just two minutes

By Shawn Knight
Oct 13, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. A group of scientists from Nanyang Technological University in Singapore have created a new battery that puts Motorola's Turbo Charger technology to shame and could have a significant impact on the electric vehicle industry.

Read more

2. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,904   +951

You mean 20 times more? And I thought most batteries were.good for about 1000 cycles, not 500. Or are you referring to quick charging batteries?

3. EClyde

EClyde TS Guru Posts: 707   +181

These battery stories are as bad as the diversity series

Win7Dev likes this.
  4. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,154   +1,429

We all know what happens next - the relaxation phase...

5. Alternate headline: Batteries now recharge as fast as they are depleting.
    On the latest over spec'd unnecessary hardware and poorly optimized operating systems.
    And if the math is correct and they last approx 500 charges, that means Iphone batteries need replacing once every 8 months or so >.<. Mint Berry Crunch.

I long for a nokia from 1999, like Keanu's in the Matrix, he never charged that thing during the filming of the trilogy. It had phenomenal battery life. Shablagoo!

6. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah I was going to point that out also.

That being said, this is definitely a fantastic breakthrough. I was reading somewhere earlier that this technology will become mainstream in about 2 years. Very good news.

7. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 567   +174

I second this. It's all vaporware and useless information until something actually makes an impact in the market.

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,555   +2,898

The boy that cried wolf!

9. Lion batteries stopped at 40% and show need recharge, 40%+70%=110%, more than impossible within 2 minutes.

10. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,919   +685

Hey look, another Battery breakthrough we will never see...

I know they said it could be commercially available in 2 years but I'm pretty sure I've read other articles on Battery tech saying the same thing and it never EVER arrives.

I wonder if Energizer and Duracell have anything to do with that...

Ajai D'Silva and Skidmarksdeluxe like this.
  11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,505   +2,053

You beat me to the punch there. 10 years from now we'll still be using the same lithium ion batteries with the same densities we have now, nothing will have changed.

Burty117 likes this.
  12. cliffordcooley

I'll believe there is a wolf when I see one.

13. money

money TS Enthusiast Posts: 44

News about super batteries for the last 10 years but where are they?

14. Its a battery conspiracy, man.

15. Blaze049

Blaze049 TS Member Posts: 42

Let's suppose that they make these batteries even still these batteries may discharge quicker than the normal ones.

16. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,752   +1,106

maybe. When you charge a battery, the electricity has to some from the wall socket. A phone uses like 5W to charge, and if your battery can take it, you could draw 1500W from that socket and charge your phone in seconds.

But cars already draw 1500W from the wall. Some even more if they have the 220V hookup. I don't think this tech would help charging at home much. This MIGHT help charging stations, but imagine the power requirements to charge multiple cars this fast. I doubt the grid could handle it.

the problem with electric is range, which CAN be offset by fast charging, but I don't see how charging could ever be all that fast.

I'll take one for my phone though... and the first phones to get this tech will be HUGE. I'll bet Samsung gets it first.

17. Charging stations could store their power in capacitors. They are capable of quickly discharging energy.

18. cliffordcooley

You have a point about the amount of power the battery would pull. This means the outlet would need to be enhanced to handle the extra power draw. And the potential for fires will increase as the outlets corrode/oxidize or worn-out by usage and burnout.

However the grid would still be charging the same number of cars that are fully charged, after pulling the same amount of power. This would only allow the individual car to pull power more quickly, therefor dropping off the grid more quickly. Adding more cars will effect the grid. Charging them all at the same time which is not likely, will effect the grid. But the simple concept of charging the car more quickly will not effect the grid, that only changes the time share of the grid.

19. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,310   +56

I bought a bulk pack of 100 batteries yesterday. Fry's actually has ac delco (general motors) aa batteries, but I didn't buy those. Years ago I took lithium too.