TechSpot

New Mac Pro for content creation professionals ships this December starting at $2,999

By Shawn Knight
Oct 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Apple’s new Mac Pro – the same one that was first showcased back at WWDC 2013 in June (yet never shipped) – will be made available in December starting at $2,999.

Read more

2. AccordXTC

AccordXTC TS Rookie Posts: 19   +6

Wow HDMI 1.4 means 4K at only 30 frames. No thanks Apple outta date out of the box. It's all about HDMI 2.0 or new Display Port.

3. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,389   +329

So why doesn't this have more to say it costs a ton? I'f you really wanted to do content creation a PC with 2 xeons 64gb ram and 4 2tb HDDs would cost around same with a ton more power now macs are good but the Mac pros seem waaaay over priced. The thing looks sexy as hell but it has a 50-60% price premium which ain't worth it

4. TechGamer

TechGamer TS Addict Posts: 365   +38

For my opinion everyone should stepaside from the mac pro there not as good as normal pcs at the same price if anyone would even be interested stick with the normal mac and be happy with it :S this system wont output the same price to performance a normal system of that price would do..

wastedkill likes this.
  5. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

HDMI 1.4, the kind of top-notch for the top buck... was that a joke? - 'cos I didn't get it...

GhostRyder and wastedkill like this.
  6. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TS Addict Posts: 291   +55

Now that Final Cut is a dead duck, a decent windows pc with software that actually works should do.

wastedkill likes this.
  7. I don't get it... Why pay so much for a computer? I can have a computer so cheap... It's crazy. And it can't even play games, as Macs are terrible at games... I'd rather buy Windows PC, it's much cheaper and can play games.

wastedkill likes this.
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

It does look sexy but I've got better things to waste money on.

wastedkill likes this.
  9. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,254   +222

This isn't primarily for a gaming and yes it can play games using bootcamp. Anyway, this new Mac Pro seems terrible. However, this machine seems like a big giant waste of money. Id much rather build a SR-2/SR-X system that would merc this.

10. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

Ok, that look and case is amazing, but that price is flat out ridiculous. I could build a workstation with a significant amount more power than this for less. The price premium is ridiculous here, im sorry to apple people, but really apple, at what point did 3000 bucks for this seem like a good idea.

11. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,553   +857

R2-D2 anyone?

12. rub900

rub900 TS Member Posts: 76   +6

Wow they have an i5. Wow way to go Apple. Work that five year old chip!

13. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,101   +345

Yes that price is laughable.

14. GunsAblazin

GunsAblazin TS Rookie Posts: 75

I wonder why they didn't use WRAM, it's supposed to be faster and cheaper.

15. Novulux

Novulux TS Rookie

i5?

16. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 817   +231

E5 it is a quad-core Xeon.

17. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,553   +857

i5 =/=e5.

18. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424