New MacBook; Good investment??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMDIsTheBest010

hey everybody:

getting ready to start college in fall, so i was getting ready to order my laptop, but wanted some expert opinions first. Lets start off by saying that I ordered a Apple MacBook. Heres the Specifications

CPU: Intel Cre Duo 1.83GHz
RAM: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM @667MHz
Hard Drive: 120GB SATA
Modem: Apple USB Modem
Wireless: Apple Airport Extreme w/integrated Bluetooth module
AppleCare Protection Plan: 3 years of "World Class Support" (thats what they say:)

for a sub-total of $1,750
add $150 for MS Office
then add Tax

So a grand total of around $2000.00

Good, Bad
Ye, Ney?

.....AMD

Hello,
I think that was a bad deal. With a windows desktop, that cost that much, you could have a better processor. You could also have more hard drive space. You could probably get the same amount of warranty or more.
For colledge, windows might be better, because you just need to type up reports, and projects.
YOu shouldn't have bought the Ms Office. You could download a free office suite online, and it is better, don't spend 150 bucks.

It depends on what the laptop is going to be used for.

Examples, audio/recording engineers tend to get macs because most recording systems use Protools or Logic etc, and want the convieniance of file portability between work and home. Same with some graphic design companies/courses.

Although there are also Windows version or equivilant for each program made for a mac, and vice versa.

And also the other question is if you are willing to adapt to the one button mouse system and the other little differences from a windows system or not. But you will get used to it with regular use..

over here, some Core Duo laptops are about the same price range, but then this is australia............

I agree with the above statments.

I just orders my laptop with better performing components, for about 1600.

But if you really like the Mac OS you have only got once choice to make.

I havent placed my order yet. since so many ppl are not liking this deak, what would be another good brand to go with. My sister just got herself a Dell Inspiron E1505. heres her specs.

Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz
1GB DDR2 SDRAM PC4200
100GB SATA HD
15.4" Display w/Truelife
4year total solutions warranty
Intel Graphics 950
8Cell Lithium Ion Battery
im goin to law school, so would this be better for me???

thanks
.....AMD

Get the MacBook. You aren't going to get a PC laptop with a better processor for much cheaper, if any. Espically when you consider Apple Care, thats like $300 itself. Plus with your new MacBook you can run MacOS 10.4.x tiger and above as well as WindowsXP.

Don't dump the AppleCare plan, they are really good about fixing things that can go wrong, and do it fast. I sent my laptop out on a monday and had it back to me on thursday, and that was 1 day later than it could have been but I was too slow on getting some information to them. And I live over 500 miles away from where it was shipped to.

One thing I noticed though is why are you getting a modem? Unless you plan on living off campus without broadband, or living with your parents without broadband there really is no reason to get it.

confused001 said:
Hello,
I think that was a bad deal. With a windows desktop, that cost that much, you could have a better processor. You could also have more hard drive space. You could probably get the same amount of warranty or more.
For colledge, windows might be better, because you just need to type up reports, and projects.
YOu shouldn't have bought the Ms Office. You could download a free office suite online, and it is better, don't spend 150 bucks.
He probably wants a laptop for a reason. So desktops are out of the question.
Why is windows better for college "because you need to type up reports and projects". When right after that you tell him not to get Office and get a free "better" one online. If you have Office on Mac its the exact same files when you save as Office on Windows. They are 100% compatable. If he gets a free suite online no matter what platform (Windows or Mac) you have all sorts of compatability issues, especially between Calc and Excel.

Im Getting the USB Modem, b/c im ordering the laptop soon, and school doesnt start until Sep. 20 so i need the modem, b/c we cant get broadband at our house out in the country :( so its only $49 and i have to have for at least 2.5 months but the school im attending does have WiFi so the Airport card is good for that.

confused001 said:
Hello,

Yes, but i really dont think im gonna want to carry a huge desktop around college with me all day; and if your thinking of OpenOffice.org for the office, that is an ABSOLUTE no; have tried it and would rather pay $150 for a office program thats actually useful.

Even with a Windows Laptop you'll get a better spec. Laptops tend to run have problems that are different to desktop PCs. So if Apple have got a good sales support and is within your budget then go for it.

The hardware isn't going to much different than you can get in a PC notebook for that price. I realize that Dell had a 4 year and his apple will only have 3, but I'd bet you that he'll be much more satisfied with apple care than whatever dell pawns off on the masses.

With MacOS you get arguably better OS, you get bundled software that is actually useful rather than a bunch of crap that requires really a clean install of windows (not a restore from factory disks) to make Windows run correctly. AND he can run XP on it.

And incase anyone is wondering I have 4 working PCs in my apt now, and 1 Mac desktop that has ran Ubuntu for about 5 hours, which is probably 4 hours longer than its ran any mac os since I've had it. I do use a mac at home most of the time, but its a G4 powerbook.

well we even had OS 8.6 on an imac at the same time that windows 98 was out and i was more impressed with 8.6 than with 98. I have heard wonderful things about OS X 10.4 but i have never personally used it. Is Mac OS X really a good operating system than windows, jus want to be sure b4 i really commit to it.

warranty: Apple was rated #1 in warranty service by Consumer Reports and by 15000 other readers; dell on the other hand was rated 7th

The hardware isn't going to much different than you can get in a PC notebook for that price.
I agree.. if it wasn't for the differences in Bios and cpu's previous to the Intel Cores then its exactly the same.

hmm.. i've forgotten about the Apple bootcamp..

but I'd bet you that he'll be much more satisfied with apple care than whatever dell pawns off on the masses.
hmm.. i've heard the opposite from a friend of mine.. but he got a desktop mac, and 3 months new with a dodgy hdd (took the whole christmas and new year to fix). But then again, it could be because everyone was in holiday mood :D. Dell decided to fix their laptop free of charge with their next day service 2 days after the 1yr warrenty finished.

But then again, both companies are fairly reputable.. sometimes you get lucky and sometime you dont.. just hope your laptop doesnt break down in a holiday season...

well as i said earlier we have a Dell E1505 and it kept randomly rebooting, so Dell said they wohld dispatch a technician to the house, 4 days later, no technician that was very frustrating

You don't need to buy a desktop. Duh it's inconvienient for you to carry one around college.
What i am saying is that some windows laptops, that cost the same, are better than mac laptops, in their hardware, and their system specs. Mostly all mac software has a windows counterpart, so, i would personally prefer a laptop that runs windows over a laptop that runs mac.

well in response to to confused001 i have compared windows laptops to mac laptops and for what you get in a mac verses a windows they are about the same price.

Apple laptops: actually come loaded with USEFUL programs, instead of just junk, you also get ilife, the WONDERFUL media application, with a remote. Plus you get the wonderful AirPort Extreme WiFi card with a integrated Bluetooth Module. and the battery life is superb cNet tests confirmed 6 hours of battery life with a 6cell battery. And they are basically indistructable, with the Magnesium Alloy or something like that outer shell.

Windows laptops: come loaded with junk apps that slow down startup, and clutter the deskop, most come with just a standard WiFi card , with no bluetooth, most have an average battery life of 3 hours, and they usualy dont have any specail casing

Mac OS X: have great features such as "spotlight" "Aqua effects" "Finder" and the coolest feature that floating "dock"

Windows XP: it has some pretty cool features, ohh including the "clock" that should come in hand while keeping track of time while removeing all that junk software

Mac OS wins
Hands Down

Since your gonna want the laptop for college you dont need a powerful spec. you would get a more powerful spec on a windows based laptop but really thats only needed for games.

If you were going to buy a desktop i would say go windows but since its laptop go mac.

I think someone's mind has already been made up :D

One of the main reasons why you'd want a good spec machine is to last you the 3 years or more (if you take real, real good care of it).

Seriously, who's gonna get a Centrino CPU laptop these days (for the windows side) or a PowerPC CPU Mac, unless they realy dont have that money or planing to use it just for word docs and basic internet apps.. no movies, music and such..

I dont really want an AlienWare, b/c they dont have very good battery life, (average of 1.5 hours) and they use Desktop components so they get very hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back