TechSpot

New manufacturing process allows for solid state batteries that hold twice the charge as Li-ion

By Justin Kahn
Aug 15, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Lithium-ion batteries power most of our devices these days but come with a number if downfalls including safety issues. Now, it appears a new manufacturing process will allow for solid state batteries to be produced that are both more affordable...

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,505   +2,053

For years now I've read and heard about the next big thing in battery tech but yet none have ever made it to market, if they have then I've never seen or read about it let alone making it to mainstream consumerism so I'll just take these latest claims with a shovelful of salt.

SalaSSin, EClyde and VitalyT like this.
  3. Tgard

Tgard TS Enthusiast Posts: 59   +12

Here Here! Seems like every year or a couple of times a year we hear about these breakthroughs but never get to see the end product. Would have thought by now I could run my whole house off of 3 or 4 D-Cells! OK actually I just want to be able to run my laptops and Media players for a couple/few of days without charging every few hours. Let's get these next best thing ideas to market now!

SalaSSin likes this.
  4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,557   +862

Does this mean the risk of fires/explosions with lion batteries would be dramatically reduced/non existant with this process?

5. Chazz

Chazz TS Evangelist Posts: 671   +73

I thought I read this article and your comment last week. If a topic/ comment gives you deja vu, I'm guessing you're right. @skid

6. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Evangelist Posts: 494   +126

Ohh look another new battery tech promising to put Lion to shame, next plz....

7. veLa

veLa TS Evangelist Posts: 708   +168

Agreed. I hear about it every month but it never comes to fruition. So unless it actually comes out I just don't believe it anymore.

8. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,154   +1,429

I was going to spit something out, for the tenth time, but then couldn't be bothered. The story of super batteries are as old as ones of El Dorado, with no follow-through ever.

9. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,043   +271

Yep.

Like other posts, I would not hold my breath. If we see these get to market, there will be significantly more applications for this battery technology, and one of those will be EV. With these, the range of a Tesla would be doubled, and the range of an EV within striking distance of 400+ miles.

However, I've seen a lot of tech announcements, including the announcement about two years ago for a process for making supercapacitors that rival batteries, but not one of them has appeared on the market as of yet.

SalaSSin likes this.
  10. Nilbud

Nilbud TS Enthusiast Posts: 33   +10

It's hardware, hardware always takes longer.

11. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,393   +107

Tech been out for years to have long lasting batteries keep their charge for 3 years before replacement. NASA had 9-volt batteries in use like this since 1989 when I had met NASA Engineer once was telling me about it. .Duracell hopes we all would spend more on current tech and not implement much longer lasting batteries would drive down profit margins.

I don't buy into the Duracell battery racket. I use sanyo eneloop re-chargeable batteries. Even got my outdoor house number sign lighted up at night using one of these batteries.

SalaSSin likes this.
  12. There are various factors that take time to overcome in order to produce a shipping product. I remember a quite number of years ago, I would read Popular Science and see all kinds of new and exciting ideas. In general at that time it took 10 years or more to go from an article to something you could purchase. I think time frames have improved however it still takes time. Things working in a perfect lab environment may not work as well in manufacturing or in the field.

13. Just put it in the freezer :)