New manufacturing process allows for solid state batteries that hold twice the charge as Li-ion

Justin Kahn

cheap solid-state batteries long coming

Lithium-ion batteries power most of our devices these days but come with a number if downfalls including safety issues. Now, it appears a new manufacturing process will allow for solid state batteries to be produced that are both more affordable and more reliable than current gen lithium-ion options.

While we have seen solid state batteries previously, the technological demands of it make manufacturing very expensive. Traditional lithium-ion batteries use a liquid electrolyte core which is much cheaper and easier to manufacture than a solid one. Not only is the cost of layering solid electrolyte much higher, but the process up to this point isn't very reliable with a high ratio of rejects coming off the factory line.

But one of the world's biggest players in the business, Applied Materials, says it has new manufacturing equipment that will allow solid state batteries to become a reality. The company is already prototyping solid state options that can hold twice the charge as Li-ion batteries without the need for the flammable liquid core.

Alongside holding a charge for longer and being much safer, the solid state options can also be produced in much smaller form factors that can be flexible or oddly shaped. These features open up a number possibilities for enhancing our mobile devices, and while Applied Materials isn't saying who is interested just yet, the company has hinted that the wearable market will likely be a good fit.

Image via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

For years now I've read and heard about the next big thing in battery tech but yet none have ever made it to market, if they have then I've never seen or read about it let alone making it to mainstream consumerism so I'll just take these latest claims with a shovelful of salt.

For years now I've read and heard about the next big thing in battery tech but yet none have ever made it to market, if they have then I've never seen or read about it let alone making it to mainstream consumerism so I'll just take these latest claims with a shovelful of salt.

Here Here! Seems like every year or a couple of times a year we hear about these breakthroughs but never get to see the end product. Would have thought by now I could run my whole house off of 3 or 4 D-Cells! OK actually I just want to be able to run my laptops and Media players for a couple/few of days without charging every few hours. Let's get these next best thing ideas to market now!

Does this mean the risk of fires/explosions with lion batteries would be dramatically reduced/non existant with this process?

I thought I read this article and your comment last week. If a topic/ comment gives you deja vu, I'm guessing you're right. @skid

Agreed. I hear about it every month but it never comes to fruition. So unless it actually comes out I just don't believe it anymore.

I was going to spit something out, for the tenth time, but then couldn't be bothered. The story of super batteries are as old as ones of El Dorado, with no follow-through ever.

Does this mean the risk of fires/explosions with lion batteries would be dramatically reduced/non existant with this process?
Yep.

Like other posts, I would not hold my breath. If we see these get to market, there will be significantly more applications for this battery technology, and one of those will be EV. With these, the range of a Tesla would be doubled, and the range of an EV within striking distance of 400+ miles.

However, I've seen a lot of tech announcements, including the announcement about two years ago for a process for making supercapacitors that rival batteries, but not one of them has appeared on the market as of yet.

Tech been out for years to have long lasting batteries keep their charge for 3 years before replacement. NASA had 9-volt batteries in use like this since 1989 when I had met NASA Engineer once was telling me about it. .Duracell hopes we all would spend more on current tech and not implement much longer lasting batteries would drive down profit margins.

I don't buy into the Duracell battery racket. I use sanyo eneloop re-chargeable batteries. Even got my outdoor house number sign lighted up at night using one of these batteries.

There are various factors that take time to overcome in order to produce a shipping product. I remember a quite number of years ago, I would read Popular Science and see all kinds of new and exciting ideas. In general at that time it took 10 years or more to go from an article to something you could purchase. I think time frames have improved however it still takes time. Things working in a perfect lab environment may not work as well in manufacturing or in the field.

Back