TechSpot

New Matrox Card

By Th3M1ghtyD8
May 8, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

It's most likely named Parhelia... The logo helps to confirm this, along with hints from their Tech Support manager Haig...

Check out MURC (forums) or Matrox's forum... Quite a lot of speculation, though no hard facts yet...

Wait until midnight 13th of may and you should see the specs posted on quite a few pages...

Oh, and last... The G1000 is a hoax! They've got a typo in the "screen grab", and it first appeard on 1st of April...

According to people in the know there are pages out there with some of the specs, though hidden in rubbish/on rubbish sites, so as not to break their NDA... (Don't know which pages though...)

EDIT: fixed url
  2. JAV

JAV TS Rookie Posts: 264

Check out the front page: http://www.guru3d.com/

"May 12, 2002Matrox Parhelia in Action !! - Hilbert Hagedoorn @ 1:54

Matrox gave a presentation in China recently in order to disclose Parhelia.

On a rather vague Japanese/Chinese site a few photo's apeared from the Matrox Parhelia in action at that presentation. Among the things we see is a three monitor Quake III Arena solution, a flight sim played over three screens (likely Microsoft Fligh-Simulator 2002) and Photoshop streched out over three screens. Keep in mind that the Parhelia launch date is only two days away on the 14th, so this is the real thing." [Lots more in the article]

[​IMG]

Enjoy,
  3. DogStar

DogStar TS Rookie Posts: 142

Wonder how well it do against a NV25(all) in some benches.
    Now that the horse has bolted.

And the 7500/8500 and the Xabre4/600 (when available)
  4. MrGaribaldi

From what I've read so far, which is quite a lot, it won't smoke them in terms of max speed...

What is more likely is that you'll get fast and stable framerates with all eyecandy turned on...

And knowing Matrox, the picture quality will most likely surpass any of the competition...

Which IMO is much more important than if the card peaks at 275 or 350 fps in Q3...

.02$
  5. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,551   +97

The 16 Fragment Antialiasing sounds good.
    Only works on edges of objects rather than on the entire frame (which other cards do causing blurring of textures).
    Also the 10bit color should allow for significant improvement in representation of real life images on screen. DVD playback should also benefit somewhat from this advancement... :D
  6. MrGaribaldi

Yeah... I've got the Parhelia picked as my next vid.card... (Unless the nv30 incorporates enough 3dfx tech to make me change my mind...)

The only prob with FAA 16 is the fact that it can cause artifacts, and won't allways work, as there isn't a perfect way to figure out what is edges, and what isn't... But it does look good :)

And I can't wait to try the Surround Gaming... Since I've got 3 CRT's standing around... :D (Unless I sell one of them to get some cash....)
  7. Arris

Is it actually available somewhere in the world now?
    I notice it says 14th of May on the document posted above... :confused:
  8. MrGaribaldi

Only if you rob a betatester for an alpha card.... They plan on releasing it end june/start july afaik...
  9. Arris

Shouldn't that be an alphatester for an alpha card?
    Or a betatester for a beta card? ;)

Can't wait to see benchmarks and more screenshots to see how this baby performs...... :grinthumb
  10. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

3 monitors! :eek:

I noticed in the picture that it only has a winky little heatsink. Might this cause problems?

I have a Millenium G400 somethin' or other in my alternate machine, and I've appreciated it's performance, although now it's a bit dated. :rolleyes:

To me Matrox is a legit company. I'd love to have the Parhelia as my next card, but since I have an 8500, I won't be buying a new vid card anytime soon. (As much as I'd like to...:D)

I still want the 3 monitor support...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.